Less expensive alternative to ar-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Less expensive alternative to ar-15

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
So let me get this right, Can I throw any random gun topic at y'all and get a similar plethora of info? Either you have these sites at hand or are a quick on the draw in terms of research, either way I know where consult for info. Thanks again!!!!!!
We have some VERY knowledgable members here. We have some great guys who have been shooting for decades. We have some great guys who have been reloading and tinkering in their garages since they were kids.

And the best part is, there are here to help out and share what they know. We have guys that know at least a little bit about most everything gun related. If you post a question, it may take a day or two, but someone will be along to help you out.

Welcome to the site!

JD

Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #12

Basic Ar build equates to buying a lower and a kit from a reputable dealer. I bought a stripped lower from a local dealer, and a kit from an online place.
Any hands on person can build one. Mine was less than $700, nothing special, but it will shoot decent groups with open sights at 100 yards. Mag fed, cheap mods, and fun as it gets.

Welcome to the forum, the other side of the build is the pride of knowing it was your work that made it go, that's priceless.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Someone (or 3) will chime in on nearly any subject under the sun here. Save the frustration with the Mini-14. An AR is at least 2X the gun for just a bit more than the Ruger.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #14

The Mini 14 is historically plagued with sub-par accuracy. As far as I can tell it is usually attributed to the gas block design and mounting. I could only get about 3" ish groups at 100 yards with mine. Now my brother has it but his standards are lower.

The newer Target version has a fatter barrel and accuracy has supposedly been improved but the price is a little over your $700 limit. I built a sub $600 AR that will easily do MOA with surplus ammo (scoped for accuracy testing, then removed scope after I proved to myself it would shoot).

Everyone else is right, skip the Mini and build the AR.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #15

Thanks y'all I mentioned this at work and now I have 2 others who plan on building their own. Also, every one has echoed your sentiment on the mini 14. I am glad I asked for advise. Thanks

Old 11-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan The Man View Post
Thanks y'all I mentioned this at work and now I have 2 others who plan on building their own.
Make sure you send them this way so they can draw info from the same great group of guys. We have some great former trigger pullers and guys who have built hundreds of these things, plus we don't have a select group of "In Crowders" who won't share info...

Also - You guys might want to think about getting a stripped lower on the books before the end of January...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-07-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah man
you got this
heck i'm only 19 with minimal knowledge about guns and i built my AR-15
you just need a good pair of hands and a head on your shoulders

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 11-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had a few of the new mini 14s come in and when mounted scope/boresighted,and helped them (customers) sight in,I was highly impressed. They actually shot almost as good as my mini 14 I built with shilen barrel. Recently,ruger switched to all new tooling. Will that make them "as good" as an AR?-all depends on what type rifle you want and the purpose you'll be using it for,but in general,no. The AR platform is highly versaitle,and the sky is the limit with them-keep in mind that I'm saying this while personally I DON'T like ars.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #19

I would choose the ar start off with a nice upper and lower then you can upgrade and change parts as you want. The aftermarket for ar's is extensive you can change anything you want to fit your specific needs or personal preference most upgrades are pretty straight forward and most can be completed with basic hand tools.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #20

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I've had a few of the new mini 14s come in and when mounted scope/boresighted,and helped them (customers) sight in,I was highly impressed. They actually shot almost as good as my mini 14 I built with shilen barrel. Recently,ruger switched to all new tooling. Will that make them "as good" as an AR?-all depends on what type rifle you want and the purpose you'll be using it for,but in general,no. The AR platform is highly versaitle,and the sky is the limit with them-keep in mind that I'm saying this while personally I DON'T like ars.
I agree, I personally don't care for the AR type platform. Don't get me wrong, I have built many special purpose and competition ARs for customers and friends. I have also used them in competition. The AR is just not my choice. It may be a perfect rifle for you and you can build a nice one in the $600 to $800 range. I am also OLD SCHOOL. I prefer the M1 Garand, M1-A (especially the Super Match) and the Ruger Mini-14. Granted, most of the older Mini-14s
were minute of pie plate at 100 yards and a lot of that was using the 55gr. loads in a 1-7 to 1-9 twist barrel. The barrels were also so called pencil thin. Barrel harmonics, gas block design and action to stock fit played a major role also. But the Mini-14 is one of the most reliable and in my opinion, probably on of the best all around rifles the average person could own ( that will get a few frowns). The newer Mini-14s have been improved on and are more accurate today. When you come right down to it, the choice is yours and yours alone. Whichever way you go, you will find more help than you could ever need here in building your rifle. Welcome to the forum...

I might add also that the Mini can be (with a little work) a very accurate rifle. My primary Mini-14 stainless, 186 series, is capable of and will shoot MOA @ 100 yards using a scope. The scope was used for accuracy testing only. I use irons on it (Williams Foolproof) for all of my shooting with it, as I wanted to retain the utility aspect of the rifle. With irons, I can hold groups to 1" or under at 50 yards and 2" or under at 100 yards. My other Mini's are right behind it........................................

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to help each other !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim..................................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-21-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Closed Thread