Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   kinda plinking kinda shtf kinda cheap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/kinda-plinking-kinda-shtf-kinda-cheap-28270/)

waxman895 06-13-2010 10:55 PM

kinda plinking kinda shtf kinda cheap

im sure this post has done before, but im looking around for a .223 or a 7.62x39 or even a .22 semi auto, because welli want magazine fed semi auto rifle for plinking or in case of zombie invasion..... or when the obama admin really decides to take a dump on us. (case in point internationl arms treaty that hilary said shed happily attend by the wonderous un) and well does anyone have any suggestions for one thats CHEAP and fun? just wanting everyones opinion here.
Im looking for more of a military platform because ive got several hunting rifles but ammo is just so expensive its almost no fun to go shooting anymore thanks to the hit my wallet takes. THANKS ALOT!

Hunt SD 06-13-2010 11:11 PM

S & W M&P 15-22 might be a good choice for you.

Shihan 06-14-2010 12:36 AM

Look into a Ruger SR22.

Quentin 06-14-2010 06:00 PM

Lotta ground you're covering there. Anyway if ultracheap is the main criteria then go .22lr and a Marlin Model 60 (tube fed) or 795 (magazine fed) is about the best cheap semiauto out there. I have a couple 60s, one bought in 1971 and the other a couple years ago at Walmart, and they can run all day.

If you want a cheap AR, shop around, maybe the $600 bargain bin CMMGs. As far as an AK style, the WASR-10 or Saiga are pretty cheap and good. The Saiga is very high quality but does not look like a classic AK without a conversion, the WASR is much closer and uses standard AK parts, especially magazines.

robocop10mm 06-14-2010 07:29 PM

As imported, WASR's do not take standard AK mags. They must be modified and have US made parts installed to be legal.

For a zombie/plinker rifle, Ruger 10-22 as parts/accessories are very available. #2 choice MP-15 22. They seem to be more picky about ammo than the Rugers though.

orangello 06-14-2010 07:50 PM

If you want more caliber than a .22 but don't want a AK, consider an SKS. I have really enjoyed mine. They are simple to clean/breakdown, use the same cheap ammo as an AK, can be used with removable "duck bill" magazines, and many include an attached bayonet for extra zombie killin' points. :)

Quentin 06-14-2010 09:33 PM

It's true Century modifies WASRs they import but by the time you see them for sale most are ready for standard AK double stack magazines (and have a legal 922r parts count) - which is what I meant in comparing them to a Saiga that often still needs conversion.

Anyway, either is a good choice for an entry level AK. And a Saiga doesn't need to be modified if you're ok with non standard mags and a trigger positioned to prevent a standard pistol grip. Definitely less evil looking and may be a better choice in ban states.

Good point on the SKS but sadly the price keeps inching up to WASR level. :(

waxman895 06-15-2010 05:28 PM

alright thanks for yalls help ill have to shop around and see but youve made it a whole lot easier on me, i think i may be leaning more towards and sks at the moment ill have to check the prices on them when i get home because a lot of people in my area go out and by the ak's from dunams, at least i think so anyways. And to be honest i hate being like everyone else, if that makes sense to anyone......

GatorDude 07-08-2010 12:08 AM

You might check out a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22. It feels a lot like an M-1 Carbine, but it costs only about $100. I think you can get a decent .22 semi-auto from Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, or Ruger without breaking the bank. No need to get all Tacti-cool with it. It's a .22 have fun with it!

Rifle Review: Magtech 7022 (Mossberg 702 Plinkster)

big shrek 07-19-2010 06:10 PM

Best deal out there currently for a semi-auto .22lr is the Marlin 795.

Cost - $129.98 at Academy Sports & other SG stores.

Rebate - $25 back from Marlin until Dec 31st, 2010.

Medium-weight tapered Micro-groove barrel lets you put shots in a dmie at 50 yards.
Inexpensive accessories if you wanna pimp it out.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37113&stc=1&d=12766217 72

That stock only costs $14.90 at Numrich...add an ATI SKS Retro-fit kit for $9 more to make it a folder.

There is NO less expensive, better firing rifle out there.