keltec Sub 2000 anyone? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > keltec Sub 2000 anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I lucked out and found that my friends dad had one barely used still in the box. I bugged him till he sold it to me for $350, it takes the same mags as my Glock. I love this little carbine- so fun and cheap to shoot! If needed, parts are very cheap to replace. Ive only owned it since May and have had a few offers at the range to buy it from me, people were just amazed at how lightweight (4lbs.) and how small it folds (16") its like a mini AR 15. Ive never seen one for sale here in Ohio, this one I'm definitely keeping! Im doing the Red Lion forend/ front site upgrades like in this vid-

Good luck in your search! D.

PROUD DESERT STORM VETERAN, N.R.A. Member

Last edited by Delmonte67; 07-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5954 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 5522

Kel-Tek??

Not for me.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I see them all the time down here in TX. I have been very tempted to buy one several times - just never got around to it...

Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Consider yourself lucky, there's a few forums where guys are posting everyday to try and find one. I shop a few gun stores in my area and go to a few gun shows a year I have never seen one up here on the north coast until I bought mine by sheer luck. I'm a Glock lover so when I found out it takes the same Mag's -it got my interest. It really is a solid little rifle, I was really surprised how well it is built- not being a Kel Tec fan. A great plinker! D.

Last edited by Delmonte67; 07-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've had a 9mm (G17 version) Sub2K for a couple years now. I love it! They're easy enough to find around here (Oregon) for $300-400.

Pros:

• Super light, compact, portable (under 30" OAL, 4lbs)
  • Quick target acquisition
  • Flat-shooting enough for accurate to about 150yds
  • Hi-capacity with 31rd G18 mags
  • Low recoil
  • Highly reliable when clean
  • Great price
  • Just plain fun

Cons:
  • Must use factory mags, doesn't like the Korean aftermarkets
  • Blowback operated= gets filthy fast...can affect function
    after 200-300rds
  • No rails for doo-dads, which doesn't bother me

If you buy one and want to add anything, try Kel-Tec's website first. They produce a multitude of accessories specifically for their guns. And their prices are really good. I bought a swivel sling mounting kit (w/ cheap sling) for like $10.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last year when a used Sub 2000 that took Glock 19 mags came up on a local forum at $350 I bought it within minutes of the posting. It came with 4 mags, two of which were 33 rounders.
I previously had the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Which really wasn't that bad and all in all just as accurate as the Kel Tec. The main reason I like the Kel Tec better is it is so much lighter.
Sweeper has some great pros and cons in his post. The one area I would differ is that mine uses Korean G19 mags without a hiccup.
I think the original post mentioned something about hunting with one.... I don't see it as being a good weapon for hunting much of anything (I'm not a hunter so take that with a grain of salt). I do think it can be an effective defensive weapon at home and by all means a really fun plinker that all ages and sizes can enjoy shooting. I reload 9mm and this carbine gives me reasons to keep pulling the handle. My Kel Tec Sub2000 is a keeper.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.upammosupply.com

Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upammo
Last year when a used Sub 2000 that took Glock 19 mags came up on a local forum at $350 I bought it within minutes of the posting. It came with 4 mags, two of which were 33 rounders.
I previously had the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Which really wasn't that bad and all in all just as accurate as the Kel Tec. The main reason I like the Kel Tec better is it is so much lighter.
Sweeper has some great pros and cons in his post. The one area I would differ is that mine uses Korean G19 mags without a hiccup.
I think the original post mentioned something about hunting with one.... I don't see it as being a good weapon for hunting much of anything (I'm not a hunter so take that with a grain of salt). I do think it can be an effective defensive weapon at home and by all means a really fun plinker that all ages and sizes can enjoy shooting. I reload 9mm and this carbine gives me reasons to keep pulling the handle. My Kel Tec Sub2000 is a keeper.
Upammo, just because ive always been curious, what would it cost to get a set up started for reloading .40 Cal? Press, materials ect... me and my brother shoot .40 Glocks and of course my new Sub2k. Are the reloads the same quality/ safe as brand name ammo? What would 100 reload rounds cost to make (roughly I pay $23- $26 for a box of 100) once I get all the equiptment? Thanks D.

Last edited by Delmonte67; 07-11-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

DelMonte67,
I'm new here. I am still learning the rules but I think I better answer in a private message so we keep this thread on topic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.upammosupply.com

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upammo
DelMonte67,
I'm new here. I am still learning the rules but I think I better answer in a private message so we keep this thread on topic.
I understand totally. I'm a newbie here too. Send me one when you get time. Just curious of how cost effective it really is to reload. Thanks bro. D.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I and a friend owned SUB2000`s in 9mm...It`s a great little gun but it does have a few areas of concern to me....One of which is the area where the gun folds...its not steel and there have been many reports of it cracking in the connection...Now Kel Tec will replace parts... so it may mean nothing to many...but it was a deal breaker for me....

"If one understands " the Sub is not built on the standards of say a AR15 that is built to last tens of thousands of rounds then you will be happy...It`s a fun gun to shoot but will require replacing parts around 5000 rounds maybe a little less...

The Sub was originally introduced as a much more robust built gun that was more expensive but didn`t sell well so the re designed it with plastic parts and hence a better price...and they can`t build them fast enough...On the fun scale it`s a 10 on the durability scale it`s about a 5 but of coarse it doesn`t cost 1000 bucks either....Jim