Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Kel-Tec Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Corwin, I have tried to find out why the MJKeat character doesn't like the gun. He obviously can't understand straightforward questions and give straight answers. I've only been around the Keltec handguns and have not had any problem with them. I would welcome informed discussion about your request on the Keltec rifles, I may want to try one some day. Hope you get some more responses besides the positive one from Paladin201.
I said I demand more out of my firearms and require them to be more durable/sturdy (overlapping definitions). What part of my answer did you not understand?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #22

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

I bought my Sub2000 40S&W in 2003 and have never had a single issue with it. I bet it has had close to 10,000 rounds through it without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #23

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I have the PLR-16, a shorter, 9 1/2" barreled pistol version of Kel-Tec's SU-16 series of rifles. Actually I recently turned my "pistol" into a SBR (got the class III stamp from the BATF first so it's legal) by simply adding a SU-16C folding stock to the gun and have been having a blast - BTW, a pun IS intended - ever since. In the 5 years I've owned the gun I've also put about 1,000 rounds through it. There were a few FTE/stovepipes during the first dozen rounds or so when it was new (I think it had to do with the magazine I was using), but there has not been a problem with the gun since. FWIW, this has been a "fun" gun for me. I'll shot 20-40 rounds per session, usually when I have other guns at the local range, to keep in practice with my PLR so I don't forget how the little guy works. However, my wife has suggested that it should be our home defense weapon of choice now that it has a butt stock. She had problems with controlling the gun when it only had a pistol grip but the stock has made the gun easier to aim and control. With that in mind we may be spending more time at the range in the future.

Anyway, if I was looking at firing thousands or maybe tens of thousands of rounds per year by taking my K-T into battle or using it in competition, I'd agree with mjkeat and probably get a sturdier rifle. OTOH, if you want a personal defense weapon that you will only fire enough so you maintain your proficiency in accuracy and the guns manual of arms, a Kel-Tec rifle should be MORE than adequate to meet your needs.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #24

I agree. I just bought a hipoint 995ts for the same reasons. I'm not a professional soldier. I'm sure the 995ts will do its job protecting my home... And then some.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've had an su16 "alpha" model for almost 8 years and have had no issues at all. I had at least 3000 rounds through it before I even cleaned it. It was starting to have cycle issues, but once cleaned and lubed, works like new. And the first 1000 rounds were the dirty Wolf stuff.
I have a leupold on it and I'd say it shoots 2"'groups at 100 yards. The trigger is a little "mushy". I've taken many deer with it, and a few coyotes. I'd recommend it to anyone. Can't beat it for the price.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #26

Thanks for all the info guys. So it sounds like it would make a good plinker or home defense gun but for anything more need a heaver rife. thanks aging for the info.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin46
Thanks for all the info guys. So it sounds like it would make a good plinker or home defense gun but for anything more need a heaver rife. thanks aging for the info.
Not so much questioning your decision but what is heavier than home defense or self defense?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

If I may jump in for a moment. To quote the original poster, he asked; does anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec rifles, are they reliable and are they some what accurate. Those who have actual experience with K-T firearms and have taken the time to reply seem to agree the guns meet those requirements, therefore that should answer his question. As for mjkeat's last question about home and/or self-defense, I believe it's not a matter of "heavier" but durability under a particular set of circumstances. For example, to water my lawn or wash my windows, a 1/2" plastic garden hose will work just fine. However, if my house is burning I'd want that 5" heavy duty canvas hose that's on the FD hook and ladder truck. Each has it's purpose. Could I fight a fire with a garden hose? Yes, but I doubt it could get the job done except in the rarest of circumstances. Can I wash my windows with a fire hose? Yes, but I think we'd all agree it's major overkill.

For someone going into extreme combat conditions or expecting to fire a lot of rounds under high stress conditions - like a competition shooter - a more durable, robustly built weapon than a Kel-Tec would probably be advisable. For someone who wants a reasonably priced gun that's only fired occasionally at a range or the VERY RARE chance it should ever be necessary against an attacker, a Kel-Tec firearm will more than meet their requirements. Kel-Tec has sold many tens of thousands of guns in their 20 year history. Since the demand for most models frequently outstrips the available supply, K-T must be doing something right because quite a few people seem to think they are not pieces of s**t and continue to buy their products!

Picking a weapon is a very individual decision and we pick our weapons based on our personal requirements and circumstances. What you want or need in a firearm and the reasons why will undoubtedly be completely different than mine or most other posters here and we can all probably say the same. As long as we (as individuals) are happy with the choices we've made for the weapons we own and the guns meet our requirements, that's all any of us can expect or deserve.

Last edited by rachilders; 02-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They are simple, reliable and accurate. I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm using Glock magazines, so that it uses the mags from my Glock 17. It's easy to fold and unfold, accurate out of the box and very easy to clean. The only thing to remember is that you don't want to trip the trigger when you have the springs and bolt assy out for cleaning. If you do, you have to go in with a long pencil, eraser first and cock the hammer back upright. It's a blast to shoot. I almost had a Kel-Tec .223, but the auction got away from me. You will enjoy your Kel-Tec. Great warranty, too.

Dave