Kel Tec Question ...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Kel Tec Question ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kel Tec Question ...

I'm in the market for a conceal weapon and was wondering if you all could tell me the difference and your opinions on the Kel-Tec P11 and Kel-Tec PF9 ?
I was very interested in the Kahr PM9 or PM40 but I have spent the better part of two weeks reading numerous complaints about the Kahr and its mechanics malfunctions. Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had my P11 for a while, with thousands shot through it. Not one problem. I did smooth out the ramp, but that was it. It has a heavy and long trigger pull, but it is that way for a reason. The P11 is really meant for shots under 7 meters, and while I can do ok at 10 meters, I would not expect much farther out than that.

I mainly carry it during the summer with shorts in a SmartCarry holster.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #3

The P-11 is wider and has a larger mag capacity, the PF-9 is supposed to have a better trigger. The P-11 has a long trigger pull that takes some getting used to, but it is a reliable gun, they've been building that model for a long time. The PF-9 supposedly still has teething problems.
I have a P-11 with a P-40 kit on it that stays in the car, it is a good balance between usability and cost for that purpose. It works and it isn't real expensive in case it gets stolen.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

I have three kel-tecs, the p11 works well but is a little bulky to carry in your jeans. As stated above it does have a long heavy trigger. The pf-9 i just got and has been a jewell right from the box. the trigger is much better, and it has shot everything i put through it, including some very old surplus. If you get a pf-9, try to stay with a serial # of r8xxx or newer, the bugs are out of these. O, the other one is a su-16a, not a pistol. blue

Last edited by bluealtered; 07-27-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: delete

Old 07-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

I have three kel-tecs, the p11 works well but is a little bulky to carry in your jeans. As stated above it does have a long heavy trigger. The pf-9 i just got and has been a jewell right from the box. the trigger is much better, and it has shot everything i put through it, including some very old surplus. If you get a pf-9, try to stay with a serial # of r8xxx or newer, the bugs are out of these. O, the other one is a su-16a, not a pistol. Go to www.ktrange.com or www.ktog.org for more info. blue

Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #6

Funny this was brought up. The man that just custom made my holsters was telling me his top seller for Conceal Carry was the Kel Tec. That is what he carries and has put 500 rounds through it. He said it sticks at first and after 50 rounds its all broken in. What that means I have no idea. Just passing along 3rd person info. I liked the size of the gun and the fact it will take S&W long magazines.

Handgun of Choice-Sig X5 Competition
Rifle of Choice- FS2000

http://cueandcushion.com

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have 2 Kel Tec's P11 and P3AT, like both a lot, but when mine were new, they were stiff. think that it might be the oil that is put on them from the factory, but they had to get broken in before they shot good.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd357mag View Post
Funny this was brought up. The man that just custom made my holsters was telling me his top seller for Conceal Carry was the Kel Tec. That is what he carries and has put 500 rounds through it. He said it sticks at first and after 50 rounds its all broken in. What that means I have no idea. Just passing along 3rd person info. I liked the size of the gun and the fact it will take S&W long magazines.
I had a little issue with my Kel Tec P3AT at first. It was not feeding properly. I polished the feed ramp and it hasn't been a problem since. I carry my P3AT most of the time as it hides perfectly in my pocket. On occasion, I carry my CZ 83...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #9

I also was looking for a conceal carry for my missus. I looked at the PF-9 and the P-11. I placed both in my pocket at the gun store. The P-11 left a VERY noticeable "print", due to it being a little more bulky than the PF-9, which is 'single stack". My missus also liked the feel of the PF-9, with its narrowness. The PF-9 was less noticeable when pocketed. I bought a Desantis pocket holster and, even with "snug" jeans on, the PF-9 was completely unnoticed. The choice, to me, was less noticeable vs higher capacity. Since the missus and I can shoot fairly accurate, we/she went with the PF-9 for more concealability. Hope this helps,

Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

As you can tell from my sig pic, I prefer my SW40VE as a conceal carry, but it is DEFINITELY not a pocket gun. Just wanted to clear that up