Just picked up a Hi Point 995-TS....ugly as sin and I love it!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Just picked up a Hi Point 995-TS....ugly as sin and I love it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Just picked up a Hi Point 995-TS....ugly as sin and I love it!

Ive always thought a 9mm military-style carbine would be fun from a novelty standpoint....so I finally jumped and bought a new Hi Point 995 which is unlike ANYTHING Ive ever seen before. What a weird and strangely attractive gun! Its got more rails than grand central station but I cant wait to use them for a vertical foregrip and some light/laser action. The sights on this baby look pretty damn impressive so I think Ill hold off on the optic and use the old ghost ring.

Anyone out there have the pleasure of owning or shooting one of these? Here's our buddy Jeff Quinn from GunBlast with a quick overview. This is exactly how mine is set up:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I picked up one of these used two days ago for a deal. It is now one of my favorite guns in the safe. It is a blast to shoot and the TS looks much better than the older "Planet of the Apes" model.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You are right, they are a lot of fun to shoot. The stock peep sight is very good for the price point of the gun. That said, I took mine off and installed a reflex sight just to make it easier for fast repeat shots.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Haaa, awesome! Same here, even with today's inflated prices I still got this for a wicked deal. Under $500 shipped with a few extras such as light/laser & grip. I'm really pumped to shoot this thing and own my first pistol-style carbine. I dont even know what to call it - but I love it already

Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I bought one new back in November. I love it. The TS version definitely looks and feels much nicer than my friends old 995. Get the 15 round extended mag. I take mine to the range all the time and always have fun with it. I picked up a cheap red dot/ light and plan on picking up a vertical foregrip soon. For the price, you can't beat it. I almost splurged and got the Beretta version, but the 995 ts hasn't disappointed yet.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speezly View Post
I bought one new back in November. I love it. The TS version definitely looks and feels much nicer than my friends old 995. Get the 15 round extended mag. I take mine to the range all the time and always have fun with it. I picked up a cheap red dot/ light and plan on picking up a vertical foregrip soon. For the price, you can't beat it. I almost splurged and got the Beretta version, but the 995 ts hasn't disappointed yet.
Glad you brought that up....

Ive read about a LOT of issues with the 15rd ProMags. Heard there are issues with the follower & the catch lip.....causes feed issues. I might just pick up a buncha 10rd mags

Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just took the 995 to the range and tested the 15 round mag out in depth. I initially had problems with the 2nd round ftf. I used the shell itself to pry open the lips o the mag slightly. Went through 3 more mags with no issues and even let the last 12 of the final mag of the day off rapid fire with no issues. I think tweaking the 15 rounder just slightly will help it to feed more reliably.

image-4285432527.jpg   image-2240578667.jpg  

Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 329 Times on 182 Posts

I like mine. Fun to shoot.

image-1872540632.jpg

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Ive had mine for a few years now. It came with a magazine pouch that attaches to the buttstock and 3-10rd magazines.

I took the rear sight off and added a cheap BSA red dot scope. Its very accurate and the dot works great if the battery is good. No issues with gun or magazines in over 1000rds downrange.

Cool gun for $250 OTD Scope included.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Likes Given: 8

I have never had any dealings with the carbine. But, I know, from first hand experience, that a lot of police officers lives have been saved due Hi-Point pistols and how they love to jam and or stove pipe. A few weeks into my FTO training, my FTO and I were driving through the hood when someone fired 2 shots at us. We exited the vehicle and gave chase. As we were chasing him, we heard a loud clunk behind a yard. We slowed down and sliced the pie. We found the gun tossed into a bed of a truck. The gun had a double feed. K9 later dog bit the guy and he confessed, I found out a few weeks later, that shooting at the police was a gang initiation. He probably would have had better luck throwing the gun at us! lol. It was a .45. I have came into contact with Hi-Point several times in the past 5 years. Criminals love them, because they are so cheep and easy to get their hands on. I know, for a fact, that I would never own a Hi-Point pistol to carry or for home/personal protection!! I would never recommend one to a friend or family. This is just my experience with Hi-Point. I hope you all have good luck with yours and enjoy them!! Sorry if I sounded like Debby Downer! hahaha

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Second star to the right...and straight on 'til morning.
-James Kirk