Input on Century C93
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Input on Century C93

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Input on Century C93

Ok, so I have a crucial decision to make. I have two guns I'm looking at- Norinco SKS and Century C93 Sporter. I have shot the SKS and really like it. I have not shot the C93, so I don't know. Any input on the quality and accuracy of the C93 would be most appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

A Norinco SKS is a rock solid platform. Generally pretty accurate (for a Chicom mass produced rifle), reliable and has plenty of accessories available (if that is what floats your boat).

The C-93 is a US made clone of the HK-93. The primary difference is it has a faster twist (1/9.5) barrel than the HK (1/12). Century has a history of spotty QC with this platform (CETME). I understand they no longer employ the monkeys that used to assemble their rifles and quality has improved. Before you purchase any roller delayed blowback rifle like this, you must first understand a bit about how they work and "headspace". Learn what bolt gap is and what a ground bolt means to "false gap". If the rifle is assembled correctly, it is a wonderful platform. Incorrectly assembled they are a PITA and potentially dangerous.

Not really fair to compare the two. The SKS is designed to be a 10 shot carbine with fixed magazine. The 93 is a semi-auto version of the West German assault rifle.

Depending on which caliber suits your needs, either gun very workable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

I was in the same position. I have a co-worker that will sell me a 1953 Russian SKS (rebuild) for $325. Or, I have seen the C-93 for sale for $499.

SKS- First, I'm pissed off because they were much cheaper not long ago and I want to find a better deal! Whether I will or not is still in question. However, I liked the rifle after taking it home for the weekend. I enjoyed the history. I liked the size. I did not fire it but 7.62x39 is affordable. Also, from what I have seen, parts are easy and cheap to get.

C-93- Despite the fact that they may or may not have issues, I would rather have a higher capacity semi auto laying around. I have a limited budget and small collection right now and want to fill the voids with what I feel would be the most (1) utilitarian, (2) unique and (3) varied arms I can find.
The C-93 is (1) a modern carbine that will look at home with a red dot sight on it. (2) It is less common than a AR or AK. (3) I already have an older Russian rifle in my collection, a Mosin Nogant. Also, I think the look damn sexy and when they are gone, they are gone. There may be an SKS in my future. But I think it will be easier to find one at a decent price in a few years than it will a HK clone.

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

if your looking at that i would save up for a better rifle. M1A AK47 AR15 come rapidly to mind.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by signofbarsoom View Post
I would rather have a higher capacity semi auto laying around.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there are magazines for the SKS that hold more than ten rounds. I have a couple of Tapco 20 rounders for my SKS and a metal 30ish rounder. It is very simple to swap the original out for these higher cap mags. They are also removable if you don't like stripper clip reloading. I like the 20's; 20 rounds in a box & 1 box = 1 full mag.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Mounting a red dot on an HK clone is a fairly expensive proposition.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there are magazines for the SKS that hold more than ten rounds. I have a couple of Tapco 20 rounders for my SKS and a metal 30ish rounder. It is very simple to swap the original out for these higher cap mags. They are also removable if you don't like stripper clip reloading. I like the 20's; 20 rounds in a box & 1 box = 1 full mag.
Orangello,
Ive seen this but have also read many reports of feeding problems with the conversions. I take it you don't?

Quote:
Mounting a red dot on an HK clone is a fairly expensive proposition.
Robocop10mm,
This wont work?
UTG HK Low Profile Universal Mount for MP5/G3 etc [LEA-MNT-P668] - $19.95 : Area 51 Tactical, 334 375-7153

Oh, and dont get me wrong. There will be more guns down the road. I'm intriuqed with the idea of building an AR
Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Last edited by signofbarsoom; 04-09-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by signofbarsoom View Post
Orangello,
Ive seen this but have also read many reports of feeding problems with the conversions. I take it you don't?
I have had two failures to feed (of a couple thousand rounds), but i think that may have been more related to cold hands & poor mag loading. Generally, i have had no real problems with the tapco mags. I do have my SKS in a tapco stock as well; perhaps that makes some difference?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

To find a mount that will actually work and stay working can be expensive. The UTG mount may work and may continue to work. Many folks have tried various mounts and been VERY disappointed. Some report acceptable results.

The platform is not really designed for optics.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own several of both. I own a few older SKS's, a G3 and CETME. I guess it comes down to a few things for me.
First is how much do you have to spend on ammo? 7.62x39 is cheaper then x51.
Second, what are your plans for it? A MBR? Defense? Target shooting or hunting?
Third is are you going to change it any? IE: add optics, change stock.
These are just of the few things you should look at before you decide what to get. I am sure you will get a lot of good info from the folks here.
As for me, I like the SKS because I can ALWAYS get ammo and it ALWAYS says "BANG" when I pull the trigger.
Not sure if I was much help, but there it is.

Robert