Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Importing guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

If you're just talking one or two or a few more, the best way is do what most of us do: buy from a reputable dealer who gets them from a major importer. Let someone else worry about the import laws.

Then you only need to worry about making changes that are illegal, the gun should be legal configured as you bought it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Paperworks are pain in the #%$. Time is the worst. If you are only getting one, let's say it's a semi auto AK. Just get the Arsenal Saiga AK SGL21 for about $800 price range. If you planning to import a full auto or more than one AK, paperworks will be your new friends.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Paperworks are pain in the #%$. Time is the worst. If you are only getting one, let's say it's a semi auto AK. Just get the Arsenal Saiga AK SGL21 for about $800 price range. If you planning to import a full auto or more than one AK, paperworks will be your new friends.
Ehhh, I dont think I will be doing much paperwork. I think I will just stick to regular ak's and sk's. I figure for the price range of certain things I can buy multiples of something else and still be just as fine. Oh well. It was just a thought. I was watching something about Russias toughest prisons and they were mentioning the ak's and that brought up my friends convo about the cheap ak's they have there since they were mass produced.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

That's why the Mexican cartel comes to America for guns...to pay extra.
Yeah right.
Sorry had to say it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8618 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yes, there are dirt cheap AKs abroad. Most are full auto. NO, you wll NOT import one of those into the US.

For private citizens, NO additional full auto firearms can be registered after May 1986.

Some things require a license if you are in the business of doing it.

Type Usage
Type 1 Title 1 dealer or gunsmith other than destructive devices. Can also deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 3 tax stamp.
Type 2 Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker.
Type 3 Licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms.
Type 6 Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than ammunition for destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition.
Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.[1]

Type 7 Title 1 manufacturer of firearms and ammunition, who may also act as dealer; may not manufacture or deal in destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition. Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year. Can also manufacture & deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 2 tax stamp.
Type 8 Importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition. Can also import Title II NFA firearms with class 1 tax stamp.
Type 9 Dealer in firearms, including destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To deal/broker any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional Federal Explosives License[2] as a Dealer of High Explosives.
Type 10 Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all of the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 2 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To manufacture any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional FEL[3] as a Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives.
Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.

Type 11 Importer of firearms, ammunition, destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 and registration with the U.S. Department of State as a Broker under ITAR/D-TRADE. To import any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs), requires an additional FEL[4] as an Importer of High Explosives.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-19-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It goes way beyond what c3 states. You get into general import/export regulations, tariffs, etc. Thus, why those that are legally able to import firearms into the US do it by quantity. It simply doesn't pay to import single or even small quantities of guns, or most anything for that matter, into the country for sale.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks c3shooter, that explains a lot. I wouldn't be selling the firearms. I would just pick up a few for myself but obviously that wont be happening. Thanks for all the info everyone.