Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Importing guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/importing-guns-66664/)

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:24 AM

Importing guns?

What is the view or rules on importing guns from other countries into the US? I know there has to be some. My friend was telling me how cheap ak's are in places like Russia where they are mass produced. I am not thinking about importing any into it I was just wondering laws on it or if it is legal at all. I know they bust people for illegally importing weapons, but there has to be a way to legally do it?

mountainman13 06-19-2012 02:34 AM

You need an ffl and license for importing for starters.

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:35 AM

I figured that or have it shipped to a vendor that does have those.

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:36 AM

I'm sure that there are also plenty of taxes to pay when doing it, possibly for each gun or just in general.

JonM 06-19-2012 02:39 AM

importing guns into the states is not simple. there are specific rules the batfe has to enforce thanks to our criminals in congress. for example full ak47 cannot be imported in a traditiional akformat with reciever. thats why saiga imports ak47 with sporter stocks. ak47's like century and aim use some parts including receiver made in the US everything else is foreign.

bolt guns some other semi auto can be imported with few changes. its a case by case basis.

mountainman13 06-19-2012 02:42 AM

Another example the sks must have 10 American made parts to be legal according to federal law.

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 841192)
Another example the sks must have 10 American made parts to be legal according to federal law.

^^
Is this law in effect now or is it for guns made after a certain date or what?

Axxe55 06-19-2012 02:45 AM

Corey, think miles and miles of red tape, jumping through hoops while standing on your head, insanely stupid rules and regulations, then when that is completed, they change the rules on you!

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 841184)
importing guns into the states is not simple. there are specific rules the batfe has to enforce thanks to our criminals in congress. for example full ak47 cannot be imported in a traditiional akformat with reciever. thats why saiga imports ak47 with sporter stocks. ak47's like century and aim use some parts including receiver made in the US everything else is foreign.

bolt guns some other semi auto can be imported with few changes. its a case by case basis.

^^
Sometimes I hate rules and regulations. I am glad that I do not live in California but I do need to move from Maryland to somewhere much more lax about things.

xcoreyyyx 06-19-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 841202)
Corey, think miles and miles of red tape, jumping through hoops while standing on your head, insanely stupid rules and regulations, then when that is completed, they change the rules on you!

Oh trust me I know. Just a few years ago my driving test to get my license was so simple and it was common sense. Now I hear that there are all these new rules and they changed all this stuff to be so different from what they use to be. It's like if you don't keep up with it, you would never have any clue about new laws and all. It is hard to even keep up with it these days. Everything is always changing and it's mostly nonsense.