Im new to firearm collecting.. I need some help.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Im new to firearm collecting.. I need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Im new to firearm collecting.. I need some help.

How can I determine the year my firearm was produced. I am mainly talking about my 20ga its an H&R topper model, but I would like to know if there is a general way to do it for all firearms?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Well, the old joke was that you had to saw the gun in half, and count the rings, but.......

Serious answer- there is no one way to determine that age of a firearm. It varies wildly from one maker to another.

For Ruger and Browning, go to their website, and look under Customer Service, Historical Data- and they list serial number ranges from one year to another.

For Marlin Lever action rifles, the letter prefix to the SN indicates year, until late model guns changed to a different pattern in the serial number.

Remington- it was a 2 or 3 letter code stamped on the barrel, would tell you month and year.

Winchester- 2 different goups of experts argue over years for different serial numbers, but the Cody Museum in Wyoming has the records from Winchester.

For many guns, closest you can get is a date RANGE. I collect early Remington and Mossberg 22s. They did not HAVE serial numbers. So that goes to "What years was a Mossington Mdl Q36 made?"

There are very few references for H&R. Mr. Bill Goforth, the most knowledgable man I have ever encountered on Iver Johnson and H&Rs wrote some of those, but Bill passed away last year.

H&R made (for the most part) good, sound, durable utility grade shotguns- the gun that belonged to the working stiff- the farmer, shop keeper, mechanic. They made them from 1874 to 1986, when the company closed. The name was revived for a few years, but I think THAT has gone away now. One of us here may have a reference that lists your shotgun, I regret I do not. If yours does not have a serial number, it is from before 1968 (not required on rifles and shotguns by law until then.)

PS- my first gun was given to me on the day I was born by my grandad- a H&R .410 single shot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #3

Ok. Thanks alot. I was told by an ancient friend that the last 2 numbers on the serial # was the year of production, but I was unsure about that.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

C3shooter I have an 72 single shot h&r 20g and I know marlin picked up h&r and still runs them and true its an awesome extremely tough shotgun it was given to me by a ranch owner that was to old to shoot it. Great gun and brand

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Jon- the H&R company has changed 3 times (at least)

C&P-

The original H&R company went out of business in 1986, and the building was demolished.[2]

A new company, H&R 1871, Inc., was formed in 1991 and started production of revolvers, single shot rifles and shotguns using original H&R designs. H&R 1871, Inc. assets were subsequently sold to H&R 1871, LLC., a Connecticut LLC owned by Marlin Firearms Company in November 2000. H&R 1871, LLC. did not extend their product warranty to H&R guns made prior to the LLC's takeover.

Marlin, including all its H&R assets, was later acquired by Remington Arms Company in December, 2007. H&R 1871, LLC production was moved to Ilion, N.Y. (the site of Remington's original manufacturing plant) in late 2008, while their corporate offices are co-located with Remington Arms in Madison, N.C. (HR1871.com and Remington.com).[citation needed] Remington, along with its Marlin and H&R subsidiaries, are now part of the Freedom Group.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Interesting, my first shotgun was an H&R single shot .410, probably about 1980. The only problem i ever had was a jam of some type with the take down button; a local smith ordered a part & did the fix. Still shoots fine last i checked, but the fit is a bit small now.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.