If you were to buy ANY .223 on the market under $2500, what would it be? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > If you were to buy ANY .223 on the market under $2500, what would it be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I just fired the SCAR 16 and that was awesome, I think the guy at the range said it was 2400.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
My own builds. Because they come just the way I want them! And I can put together two complete rifles with your budget.
Heck ya, I build one with a complete BCM upper it was around $1200. BFH too. That's only iron sights. An acog would put it up there, and ammo.

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 11-25-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5704 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Colt LE 6940, with enough money left over for a Trijicon ACOG.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

JP Enterprises

LaRue OBR

My own FrankenAR

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
under 2500$ in 223... bravo company 16" midlength and an acog. still got room a few mags or spare parts

here is mine

Stop passing your gurl's stick off as your own

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Colt le6940 out of the box...aimpoint, acog or Eotec and rest on ammo

Old 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #17

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

M1 Garand... Because .223's are silly

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Preface:

I assume that everyone interested already has a 14.5" or 16" barrel 5.56MM carbine, or both. If not, what's wrong with you?

Results of the "Best Gun Salesman Ever" Being in Office:

Prices being what they are for AR carbines, I'd look into building or purchasing AR rifles. They don't seem to fetch quite as high a price as the carbines.

Given what I would generally use a 5.56MM carbine or rifle for, I'd build a light rifle with a 20" pencil weight barrel, Picatinny rail upper receiver, and a polymer lower from NFA.

5.56MM M193 Cartridge Design:

The 5.56MM cartridge kills with velocity. The 20" barrel causes the most commonly available M193 cartridges to accelerate to close to or slightly over 3200 FPS, giving you a weapon that keeps the M193 bullets above the magic 2700 FPS for as great a distance as possible.

There are other cartridges available, all of which were designed to remedy problems associated with deviating from the original design of the AR-15.

Upper, Bolt, and Barrel Assemblies:

Rant On

Heavy barrels are not needed for combat weapons if you are not firing full auto. Heavy barrels make some difference with respect to shot stringing in target rifles (differences in the strike of the round on the target as the barrel heats or cools from repeated rapid firing), but a combat rifle is not a target/sniping rifle. Most of the shot stringing is due to variances in the manufacture and installation of the barrel. There are many differing light barrel designs (bolt-action/semi/auto) that don't exhibit a great deal of shot stringing because the barrel was manufactured to "match" tolerances, the mating faces are perfectly plumb with respect to the bore of the weapon, and the rest of the parts that interface with the barrel (bolt and/or bolt carrier) have been manufactured to "match" tolerances. Even with bolt action rifles, there is such a thing as stacking tolerances and the greater the variance from "spec" that the collection of parts that interface with each other, the lesser the degree of accuracy which you can expect to achieve with quality ammunition. That said, quality ammunition and a quality barrel that has been installed properly can still achieve very high accuracy even if the bolt and/or bolt carrier are not perfectly machined.

Rant Off

As long as the upper receiver is forged 7075 with a Picatinny rail, the bolt is Carpenter 158, the carrier is 4140, the barrel is 4140 or 4150 (if you don't have full auto capability I'm not sure it really matters if you have the more expensive 4150 or not), and the machining and build quality is up to snuff, I could really care less who made the components. From reading some of my other posts, some readers may get the impression that I favor Colt. The reality is that Colt does not get their base materials or forgings from "special" sources. All major manufacturers get their receiver forgings and bolt/barrel materials from the same suppliers.

Lowers:

When it comes to lowers, I am ambivalent about forged aluminum, cast aluminum, billet aluminum, and injection molded polymer lower receivers. So long as the base materials are of high quality, the design is sound, the machining quality is high, and the parts are properly heat treated or, in the case of polymers, reinforced properly, I really don't think it matters. The military used forged aluminum lowers because modern polymer technology was not available at the time.

Cost/Weight/Durability:

Clearly the military was concerned with weight and cost. Forged aluminum was cheaper and lighter than forged steel. With modern polymer technology, polymer is the superior choice. Polymer magazines are superior to aluminum magazines in terms of cost and durability. The durability of polymer versus aluminum with respect to magazines is pretty one-sided. It's possible to melt polymer at a lower temperature than aluminum, but that's about it.

Barrel Length and Suitability to Purpose:

I can't say I fully understand trying to turn an AR into a sniping rifle or semi-auto SBR (10.3", 11.5", 12.5" varieties). The platform may have the inherent accuracy necessary for sniping and you may be able to engineer a SBR that will run reliably, but there are better tools for those uses.

Buttstocks:

I prefer the adjustable carbine stocks to the fixed stocks and can think of no good reason to use a rifle stock when the MagPul CTR and Colt Defense / Rogers Super Stoc products are available. Other really good stocks are out there, but those two immediately come to mind. I would only use a fixed stock if dictated by law. Any way you slice it, the adjustable length-of-pull stock options are just plain better than the fixed offerings if you're not trying to turn the AR into a precision rifle.

Triggers:

I think military triggers are awful and prefer just about any aftermarket trigger assembly to the ones that Colt makes. A really good trigger makes shooting so much more consistent, for me.

Optics:

I really like the Aimpoint Comp M3 and 3X magnifier combination in Larue mounts. I've tried the Aimpoint Micros, but they're just too small. I have an EoTech XPS 2 or 3 with a single dot aiming point. It eats 123 batteries and is no lighter than the Comp M3. I have never thought much of the Trijicon ACOG. Irons or 4X. Nothing in between. Any quality variable power scope is better than the ACOG if you want more or less magnification than the ACOG provides. I think 1-6/7/8 is about right.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I feel this should be changed because of the current situation we are in. The best AR you can get for $2500 right now?

S&W MP 15. Sorry it had to be said.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 569 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2445

You said .223.
Not type of rifle.
If I Could, I would buy an
HK-93
The only .223 I would want.
If I wanted a .223

Last edited by shadecorp; 01-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Viking Likes This