Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > IF money was no object ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default IF money was no object ...

When you start shopping for your first semi auto and don't have a dog in the fight, ie ars beat aks ass because I used one in the...it's hard to decide between an AR or AK or any of the other options and know you got what you need.

If money was no object what would YOU do? Not a dream arsenal but this particular part of the arsenal. It's hard to describe. Would you get a good AR (if that is what you decided you liked) and just any AK? Is there a rifle that has AKs reliability and light like an AR? I am also thinking of the availability of ammo under adverse conditions. Quitting your job and opening a gun shop is not an option in this discussion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm old school. Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad. The Scout Squad is the perfect size to my way of thinking and 7.62x51 is a potent and deadly round. It's a battle rifle.

I know the arguments for and against it and I believe it's the rifle to have.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Great question. If money was no object, I could cretainly see myself going for the Scout Squad or other M-1 varient. The rifles are gorgeous, potent, accurate and proven over time. And isn't that what we all want in a rifle (except maybe for the gorgeous part). Ammo is a little more expensive than 223 or 762x39. The gun is also heavy.

I am am an old school guy, and never liked the M-16. Although popular with many, would not be my choice. The AK's are reliable and simple. But not a choice I would make either.

And being a longtime Springfield 1911 shooter, I would probably settle on the M-1A "Whitefeather" edition in honor of GNYSGT Carlos Hathcock for his exploits as a sniper in Vietnam.

27 Words keep us "free"

Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #4

Robinson Armament XCR.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #5

I own them all. My preference? If I had to live with only one gun, I'd take an Arsenal, Inc. AK-74 over any other short carbine on the market. If you're worried about ammo availability and live in the United States, the, 'smart money' would have to be on 5.56 x 45mm.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

Only one gun?!?! Hmmmmm, I would have to agree with others and say an M1 except I would go with a NM M1A1 it would be great for defense AND can kill anything in North America so you wont starve!

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not near clever enough for this. Just go X2 from anything JD says. I'm putting him in my bug out bag

Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders View Post
When you start shopping for your first semi auto and don't have a dog in the fight, ie ars beat aks ass because I used one in the...it's hard to decide between an AR or AK or any of the other options and know you got what you need.

If money was no object what would YOU do? Not a dream arsenal but this particular part of the arsenal. It's hard to describe. Would you get a good AR (if that is what you decided you liked) and just any AK? Is there a rifle that has AKs reliability and light like an AR? I am also thinking of the availability of ammo under adverse conditions. Quitting your job and opening a gun shop is not an option in this discussion.
The AR 15 / M16 has function issues, the AK has accuracy issues. The M14 has neither. Match grade M14 / M1A for me

Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Name:  1colt2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  74.7 KB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I'm not near clever enough for this. Just go X2 from anything JD says. I'm putting him in my bug out bag
LOL - That's funny right there. I actually made it into someone's bug out bag. That has to be a first for this forum.

Okay, you want a semi auto. And you want reliability. And you want the ability to sling lead. And you want the ability, presumably, to upgrade or add things to the platform that you see fit. Oh, and it should probably be accurate enough to keep the space zombies away from the driveway, right?

That knocks Colt right off the list. Stupid Proprietary platform. Large Pins this, different size mounts that. Screw them!

That would also knock the basic AK's out of the box. They aren't shooting 6 inches at 600 yards, I can tell you that.

A custom built AK? I just don't know if I would be willing to spend that kind of money and get that "lack of quality" of weapon. The AK platform is fine, for what it is, but my first choice for a SHTF battle style rifle?? I don't think so...

And money is no object huh?

Okay, you asked for it....

You need to get an import firearm's license, and while you are at it, get a class III weapons permit and a couple of tax stamps.

Order This Rifle directly from H&K Europe. The .308 Nato caliber will knock anyone's penis in the dirt and there is ammo all over the place here in the states.

Call Brugger Thomet and get yourself their Type G Suppressor. This is a VERY good suppressor and it will cost you a bunch of money. But, they have a VERY good name in suppressor technology. Get the quick on/quick off attachment. You'll thank me later.

Get yourself an EoTech 552 XR .308. It will mount right up to your 1913 rails, at any point you want, and it's already got a Bullet Drop Compensator built in for the .308 round. Get the Night Vision Compatible version.

Call Schmidt & Bender and pick up this scope that was deemed "good enough" for the USMC Snipers.

But wait, now I have two optics, how is that going to work??

Call Larue Tactical. This quick release mount is designed for the EoTech and allows for your Night Vision Co-Witness.

Get a set of these rings for your S&B makes it easy to snap the glass on and off as long range / shorter range opportunities present themselves.

Another option would be to get an ARMS quick release scope mount rail and get some really hardcore Badger Ord rings for the scope.

Then add a Pelican case, a Leica laser range finder, a 5.11 Tactical HRT shooting solution watch and a Kestrel Wind Meter.

With that kit, you should be able to hit, and kill, just about anything man sized or smaller out to about 800 yards, conservatively....

JD