Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > I need your opinions on a semi auto rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need your opinions on a semi auto rifle

So I've been looking for a new semi auto rifle, and my research has me stuck between a few options. First is the FNH F-2000 , I am almost positive that this is the weapon I would like. I have searched the forum and google and YouTube as much as possible, but I'd like info from any actual users or owners of a F-2000. It looks to be a solid fun gun, and I really like the ambidextrous everything, because ima lefty, and hot casings are no fun in your face. I love how it collects 4-5 shells before the door kicks open and spews out them all at once..and it looks so futuristic , it's def. A head turner I think. I also was considering a ACR. The thought of a nice adaptive combat rifle and all the fun ways I could dress it up excite the crap outta me. I'm having a Nerd-gasm just thinking bout it..lol. So yeah. I'd love an all auto p90 or something but I live in Wisconsin, so semi auto rifles it is. The f2000 seems like a fun toy. Also the .223 rounds, are they adequate for stopping power? I'm kinda a newb in the assault rifle department. I'm more of a handgun guy, so any advise would be sweet. Thanks guys! -Adam
P.S. I went shooting with my best friend who just picked up his first semi auto rifle the other day, I can't quite remember the model number or brand-name , (damn im a greenhorn)but it was a .308 caliber, I thought he said it was an ARsomthing, but I'm probably wrong and sound like a huge newb. Lol. Anyway long unclear story short...this thing was heavy and I had to aim like 3 feet under the target to hit 2 feet above the target... It was not very accurate.. I'm sure the .308 is more powerful, but I hoping the f2000 is lighter and more accurate than that thing. Which was quite disappointing besides the fact that it shoots one of my favorite caliber rifle shells, the .308. So yeah my goal is to have better equipment than him. You think that will do it..?

Last edited by Totalreason; 05-15-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

At $2500 without optics?!?!

I understand you are a bit new to this type of weapon, but this system is FAR from the best option in that realm.

$2500 is a LOT of money for a mid range rifle, which ANY 5.56mm rifle truly is when you cut to the chase.

I would do a ton more reading and research before I went out and bought some spaceage, plastic wonder rifle that has seen limited "real world" reviews.

I mean, Sweet Jesus, for $2000, you can one of these, just not in a left hand configuration. But it is one HELL of a lot more accurate and precision rifle than the FNH.

LaRue Tactical OBR 5.56 20

JD

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A rifle or carbine needs to have a level of intuitive pointability for me. I've played with the FS2000 and found it lacking. Just a simple observation.

Is it cool looking? Hellz yeah.
Is it accurate? Hellz yeah.
Is it reliable? Hellz yeah.
Is it heavy? Hellz yeah.

Personally, I feel that there are better options in a 5.56 carbine. But you will need to make the decision about what is right for you.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #4

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Totalreason - forget the FNH2000 and the ACR ... read the stickies in the AR section, ask some questions in the AR section ... then embark on building your own AR!

With the support and info available here and some basic tools/skills you can build your own MOA AR for about $1000 easy. Top it off with a nice piece of glass and you will still be under $2500.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I needed to hear what some real gun guys thought. I just really like the look of bull pup style rifle. But I gotta admit. Building an AR sounds like a blast! Now you guys got me really thinking. I'm still in limbo. I'll have to do more research. I'm getting a settlement in 10-15 days from now for a rather large sum and my options are limitless at this point, so I really want something fun and head turning .. That was why the f2000 caught my eye. I can get one for like 1900-2200. And I guess that is pricey, but it is a convo piece for sure. And you guys say it's accurate too? That's a good thing. And I Don't think it could be heavier than the gun my friend had the other day.. Lol I'll have to call him and find out what it was again. Ok. Off to do more research on ARs and ect.. Thanks again!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalreason View Post
Thanks guys. I needed to hear what some real gun guys thought. I just really like the look of bull pup style rifle. But I gotta admit. Building an AR sounds like a blast! Now you guys got me really thinking. I'm still in limbo. I'll have to do more research. I'm getting a settlement in 10-15 days from now for a rather large sum and my options are limitless at this point, so I really want something fun and head turning .. That was why the f2000 caught my eye. I can get one for like 1900-2200. And I guess that is pricey, but it is a convo piece for sure. And you guys say it's accurate too? That's a good thing. And I Don't think it could be heavier than the gun my friend had the other day.. Lol I'll have to call him and find out what it was again. Ok. Off to do more research on ARs and ect.. Thanks again!
Take a look at some of the AUG carbines and their clones if you want a bullpup.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The .308 you were referencing was probably an AR10 or one of the variants that go by similar names. They are heavier than the AR15's, but not by a lot. They should be very accurate. I have a LR.308 from DPMS that is their bare bones entry gun. It shoots very well. It also puts out a round that in many ways is superior to the 5.56, although it is more expensive, heavier and the 20 round magazine weighs more than a 30 round mag for 5.56.

Do as Dillinger said and study some more. When you think you have found the way you want to go and are still wanting some advice, chime in again and there are lots of knowledgeable folks who will help. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #8

@ Dillinger - I love the LaRue tactical you linked me to! It's a beautiful gun, and I see your point about getting a better gun at that price. My only thing is it's just too normal looking for me. I mean, not that its not really cool and can be upgraded to be rambo spec. But, It looks like all the other guns out there ya know? It's amazing , but just lacks that space age look that I was wanting. I'm almost willing to pay for a mid range gun that looks so cool, is accurate enuff to have fun with, ( cause I already have really nice deer hunting rifles to use). So this is gonna be more of a range hoar I guess. But now I'm worried it's not quality. I don't want a POS that might break or not shoot nicely. IDk. I guess ima keep looking around. I have a week or two to think it over. Thanks again guys.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #9

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalreason View Post
@ Dillinger - I love the LaRue tactical you linked me to! It's a beautiful gun, and I see your point about getting a better gun at that price. My only thing is it's just too normal looking for me. I mean, not that its not really cool and can be upgraded to be rambo spec. But, It looks like all the other guns out there ya know? It's amazing , but just lacks that space age look that I was wanting. I'm almost willing to pay for a mid range gun that looks so cool, is accurate enuff to have fun with, ( cause I already have really nice deer hunting rifles to use). So this is gonna be more of a range hoar I guess. But now I'm worried it's not quality. I don't want a POS that might break or not shoot nicely. IDk. I guess ima keep looking around. I have a week or two to think it over. Thanks again guys.
Take a look at these - Deprecated Browser Error

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

Is it cool looking? Hellz yeah.
Is it accurate? Hellz yeah.
Is it reliable? Hellz yeah.
Those are three good things IMO

I'm wondering if it just has a high learning curve because of it's unorthodox shape? Every video I've seen the person says it was weird at first then they love it after a while. I'm looking at some of your guys build pics ( like dog2000tj) and I'm drooling. M14 you guys know what your doing for sure! Much respect!

Last edited by Totalreason; 05-15-2011 at 02:40 AM.