Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Cool stuff. I was wondering about the weird colored blade. I was thinking it was a tempering affect in how it was made.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #22

I tried the bayonet on the M1A and it locked on with no problems. Scary to imagine what it would have been like to fight an enemy with it attached. Way to close for my taste. The last resort weapon of war most would hope not to ever use. M6's seem to be very plentiful and it's worth is probably around $50I'm guessing. I'll keep it locked up with the M1A, they belong together. Otherwise each would seem incomplete without the other. Thanks again Marysdad, your site by the way is excellent. Loved the article on the restored Enfield from Asia.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lerenis, good luck follows in your wake. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a Hatian-contract M5 bayonet with the correct scabbard for $30 shipped (it's worth $150). You'll recognize the plum-color and see the large numerals the Hatians had Eickhorn put on the blade. There were Hatian M6 bayonets made the same way, which is why I asked whether yours had them.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
Lerenis, good luck follows in your wake. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a Hatian-contract M5 bayonet with the correct scabbard for $30 shipped (it's worth $150). You'll recognize the plum-color and see the large numerals the Hatians had Eickhorn put on the blade. There were Hatian M6 bayonets made the same way, which is why I asked whether yours had them.

Looks nice and very similar to mine, minus the numbers on the blade. Glad you got it for ashtray money. The only thing I haven't done is take apart the handle screws to see if there aare any markings inside that are not visible. I hesitate because the fit and finish on the blade is so precise. I'd hate to take it apart and not be able to put it back together again and have something go wrong with it. So what makes Eickhorn's blades result in the plum colored hue?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The plum hue is believed to result from getting the temperature off during the bluing process. This shows up occasionally. I have a 1937 Richard A. Herder 98k bayonet with a plum blade. Plum blades are fairly common among Italian M1938 folding bayonets.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerenis View Post
Here is another picture with the 1 of 100 stamp on the receiver. Sorry about all this hassle with the pictures.
Just refreshing this one to see if anyone else has seen these stamps before.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #27

Lerenis:

Let's count our blessings-not just for choices of guns but also knives and bayonets.

Two people from England who live in the Mid-South told me that the UK will soon make it illegal to buy a knife, unless over the age of 16, due to so many cuts and stabbings.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Lerenis:

Let's count our blessings-not just for choices of guns but also knives and bayonets.

Two people from England who live in the Mid-South told me that the UK will soon make it illegal to buy a knife, unless over the age of 16, due to so many cuts and stabbings.
That is just wrong. Outlawing knives and bayonets. Are UK restaurants going to provide customers with plastic knives for dining? Crazy.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #29

The police commissioners over there and the courts make it a major felony to use a firearm in self-defense.

They allegedly severely punish a person with a firearm in such a situation more than the attacker.

Maybe "Alan" or "Trantor UK" will clarify this.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #30

Anyone have any information on the pictures I posted on the M1A?