Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I will try and post up some picture's on this M1A. The 1 of 100 is stamped into the metal just above where the hole in the stock would be for the selector switch. No selector switch there, not legal. I'm starting to think it is just number one in a group of one hundred made during a run. No commemorative markings on it.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
If you post or e-me pics of the bayonets and a description of the markings, I'm sure that I can identify them (or take a crack at IDing them yourself using the resources on my site).
First bayonet is a WWII German one, has little eagle profiles over swatika stamped into it. These are really little. The frog is useable as well. Looks like someone at one time tried to dip the blade into some metal to make it shine. All they did was screrw it up so now it is only a curio thing. The other bayonet is an M-6 and this on fits onto the M1A. Just says M-6 Made in West Germany.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The M6 bayonet is rather unusual and was probably made by Carl Eickhorn in the 1970s or 1980s. A couple of questions regarding the M6: Are there any markings on the blade? Is the grip secured by slotted screws or phillips-head screws?

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Last edited by marysdad; 08-11-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
The M6 bayonet is rather unusual and was probably made by Carl Eickhorn in the 1970s or 1980s. A couple of questions regarding the M6: Are there any markings on the blade? Is the grip secured by slotted screws or phillips-head screws?
The grip is secured by phillips-head screws. Blade guard stamped USM6. No other markings on the blade. Upper metal part on sheath stamped: U.S. M8A1 Made in W.-Germany.

I took pictures of the M1A but having problem figuring out how to attach them. Never did that before. Will work on it.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Eickhorn did a production run of the M6 for Haiti, during the time your example was produced. The Hatian bayonets had large numbers on the blade, itself. Yours must be one that was sold commercially. I have an Eickhorn M7 of the same vintage as your M6, and another Eickhorn M7 that pre-dates your bayonet. Commercial M6 bayonets are not nearly as common as M5 or M7 types. Nice bayonet!

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #16

Here are a few pictures of the M1A and the unusual side stamp on it. The only information Springfield Armory could give me was that the receiver was dated 1/19/81. No other answers in their system and not in their electronic files, they found this date in their paper records. I pulled the trigger assembly and is stamped TRW, barrell is Winchester. Marysdad, here is a shot of the bayonet and thanks for the information on it.

sept.-11-2009-039.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #17

Here is another picture with the 1 of 100 stamp on the receiver. Sorry about all this hassle with the pictures.

sept.-11-2009-037.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #18

I don't know why I can't post all four pictures together but here is another one of the whole rifle.

sept.-11-2009-038.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #19

Here is the one on the bayonet. Hope you can make out anything else on the both the rifle and bayonet. Thanks Marysdad for the information on the blade.

sept.-11-2009-036.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bayonet and scabbard are both definitely Carl Eickhorn produced. The plum-colored blade is characteristic of their commercial bayonets. The scabbard's lack of a metal tip protector and the oversize hole for the leg tie are diagnostic of Eickhorn. These were very well-made bayonets.