I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

I went from not having any guns to having a whole bunch, so I have been lurking here to try and figure out what I have. The two semi-auto rifles are a Springfield M1A and a Ruger Mini-14. The question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range? The accessories and upgrades and how do you know what these are? Lead me O'wise ones in this quest for information!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

?

I am not sure what your Q is. You have guns that you know nothing about? Why did you buy them if you don't know what you bought? Did you inherit them?

IMHO the M1-A and the Mini-14 are nearly polar opposites on the quality scale. The Springfield Armory M1-A is a very good rifle.

"question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range?"

I have a hard time answering such a question. Please re-phrase.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #3

Yes, inherited some guns but would like to know more about them. The Springfield M1A is my favorite, looks fairly sinister. The Mini-14 by Ruger seems to be a shrunken down version but has a couple plastic parts on it. The Springfield has no plastic on it at all.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #4

Oh, forgot to add about the other ones. Two hand guns, an auto and six shooter. A bunch of shotguns, a double barrel and three pumps, a lever action 30-30, a 50 caliber muzzle loader, two bayonets and a partridge in a pear tree.

All are very clean and well cared for. I'm going to try and figure out everything I can about them, then clean them up from top to bottom by taking them apart and putting back together correctly.

I would really like to try out the Springfield, it looks awesome but I don't know how old it is. Ser. # is in the 16K range and is stamped on the side 1 of 100.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Pics would help. Show markings and stamps as well as whole rifle to get an idea of the condition.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you post or e-me pics of the bayonets and a description of the markings, I'm sure that I can identify them (or take a crack at IDing them yourself using the resources on my site).

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Pics would help. Show markings and stamps as well as whole rifle to get an idea of the condition.
Agreed. You could have just about anything based on this write up. Some pictures would certainly help...

JD

Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerenis View Post
I would really like to try out the Springfield, it looks awesome but I don't know how old it is. Ser. # is in the 16K range and is stamped on the side 1 of 100.

1 of 100? Sounds like a Commemorative. But with a serial # in the 16,000 range it can't be 1 of 100 unless an older original receiver was used in the manufacture...post some pics please..
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Agreed. You could have just about anything based on this write up. Some pictures would certainly help...

JD
Well JD, I'd say if there's a ? on it, it probably came from the Riddler family.........

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A 16,000ish serial number on a Springfield Armory M1A would place it in about 1981 manufacture.

If it is a "1 of 100" it should also have the event being commemorated stamped or embossed somewhere on the rifle. Pics would be nice.