Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/i-have-couple-semi-automatic-rifles-s-16597/)

Lerenis 08-06-2009 01:27 PM

I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

I went from not having any guns to having a whole bunch, so I have been lurking here to try and figure out what I have. The two semi-auto rifles are a Springfield M1A and a Ruger Mini-14. The question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range? The accessories and upgrades and how do you know what these are? Lead me O'wise ones in this quest for information!

robocop10mm 08-06-2009 03:55 PM

?

I am not sure what your Q is. You have guns that you know nothing about? Why did you buy them if you don't know what you bought? Did you inherit them?

IMHO the M1-A and the Mini-14 are nearly polar opposites on the quality scale. The Springfield Armory M1-A is a very good rifle.

"question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range?"

I have a hard time answering such a question. Please re-phrase.

Lerenis 08-07-2009 01:15 AM

Yes, inherited some guns but would like to know more about them. The Springfield M1A is my favorite, looks fairly sinister. The Mini-14 by Ruger seems to be a shrunken down version but has a couple plastic parts on it. The Springfield has no plastic on it at all.

Lerenis 08-07-2009 01:38 AM

Oh, forgot to add about the other ones. Two hand guns, an auto and six shooter. A bunch of shotguns, a double barrel and three pumps, a lever action 30-30, a 50 caliber muzzle loader, two bayonets and a partridge in a pear tree.

All are very clean and well cared for. I'm going to try and figure out everything I can about them, then clean them up from top to bottom by taking them apart and putting back together correctly.

I would really like to try out the Springfield, it looks awesome but I don't know how old it is. Ser. # is in the 16K range and is stamped on the side 1 of 100.

skullcrusher 08-07-2009 01:57 AM

Pics would help. Show markings and stamps as well as whole rifle to get an idea of the condition. :)

marysdad 08-07-2009 03:40 AM

If you post or e-me pics of the bayonets and a description of the markings, I'm sure that I can identify them (or take a crack at IDing them yourself using the resources on my site).

Dillinger 08-07-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 140631)
Pics would help. Show markings and stamps as well as whole rifle to get an idea of the condition. :)

Agreed. You could have just about anything based on this write up. Some pictures would certainly help...

JD

RL357Mag 08-07-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerenis (Post 140624)
I would really like to try out the Springfield, it looks awesome but I don't know how old it is. Ser. # is in the 16K range and is stamped on the side 1 of 100.

1 of 100? Sounds like a Commemorative. But with a serial # in the 16,000 range it can't be 1 of 100 unless an older original receiver was used in the manufacture...post some pics please..

ScottG 08-07-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 140901)
Agreed. You could have just about anything based on this write up. Some pictures would certainly help...

JD

Well JD, I'd say if there's a ? on it, it probably came from the Riddler family......... :D

M14sRock 08-08-2009 07:59 AM

A 16,000ish serial number on a Springfield Armory M1A would place it in about 1981 manufacture.

If it is a "1 of 100" it should also have the event being commemorated stamped or embossed somewhere on the rifle. Pics would be nice.