Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > How to obtain a SBR/short barreled rifle legally???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default How to obtain a SBR/short barreled rifle legally???

I'm considering getting an Romanian AK-47 draco pistol. I want to put an m4/ar stock on it. I was told this cost $200. I just want to know the proper way to do this legally.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

This shows what I want to do. I know that is not a M4 stock.

img_2217.jpg

Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8415 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

First, you must be at least 21 years old, and not prohibited from owning ordinary firearms.

Next, check with a Class III dealer in your state to see if SBRs are legal under your STATE law.

What you are proposing is called "manufacturing a short barreled rifle". You will need to apply to the BATFE for permission to do that. Application form, fingerprints, and a $200 tax payment.

ONCE you get the approved stamped form back, you can make your SBR. Do not have the components at the same location until you do.

Whne you get the stamped form, make copies, put the original away someplace safe (safety deposit box kind of safe place) Keep a copy of your form with you when taking gun anywhere. Notify ATF if changing address, or taking weapon into another state.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
First, you must be at least 21 years old, and not prohibited from owning ordinary firearms.

Next, check with a Class III dealer in your state to see if SBRs are legal under your STATE law.

What you are proposing is called "manufacturing a short barreled rifle". You will need to apply to the BATFE for permission to do that. Application form, fingerprints, and a $200 tax payment.

ONCE you get the approved stamped form back, you can make your SBR. Do not have the components at the same location until you do.

Whne you get the stamped form, make copies, put the original away someplace safe (safety deposit box kind of safe place) Keep a copy of your form with you when taking gun anywhere. Notify ATF if changing address, or taking weapon into another state.
Wow. Thanks. This sounds as serious as getting a full auto or something.
Have you heard that you have to engrave your name and location on the reciever?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

It IS regulated by the same laws and agency as a full auto.

Yes, you are required to mark the manufactured item- C&P

- You must mark the newly made NFA firearm with the S/N, Model Name or Number, *your* Name, City, State and the caliber or gauge. If you used the S/N, Model and caliber from the original Title I firearm, then you're already half-way there as far as markings go ...

- Accepted abbreviations may be used for your name (i.e., your ititials), city & state. Ex: John Q. Public, Anywhere, PA can be marked as JQ Public, ANY PA. Trust names may NOT be abbreviated

- The S/N must be marked on the receiver or frame, and must be no less than 1/16" in height and no less than 0.003" deep.

- The remaining information (name, city, state, model and caliber) may be placed EITHER on the receiver OR the barrel, and must be no less than 0.003" deep. There are no minimum height requirements for these markings.

- All required markings must be in Roman letters (English) and Arabic numerals (1,2,3 ...), and be "wholly unobstructed from plain view". In other words, they may not be placed under handguards, grips, inside mag wells, etc.

Forgot- for the paperwork, you need a form 1, and a form 5330.30, certifying compliance wit 922. Besides prints, think they now require 2 passport type photos of you.

See 27 CFR 479.

big shrek Likes This 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Liked 1119 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Don't forget. U can either do it as a trust or just in your name which will require that you have your CLEO officer sign off in the paperwork and require being finger printed. Oh and the dreaded 6 month wait is the worst of it all

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Don't forget. U can either do it as a trust or just in your name which will require that you have your CLEO officer sign off in the paperwork and require being finger printed. Oh and the dreaded 6 month wait is the worst of it all
What do you mean as a trust? Im not familiar.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

A Trust (noun, not verb) is a legal embodiment. Rather than the item being held and owned in your name, it is owned by the Trust. Doing it that was eliminates the requirement for fingerprints and approval of local Chief LEO. You need an attorney to draw up and file the papers for a trust. Do NOT attempt to use the "on line legal services" for this trust.

For more info on a Trust- in general terms- http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Trust

Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it true that you can also use an LLC instead of a trust...already have one of those for a side business I have...just curious ...I see a silencer in my future...lol

Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

You cannot have the same components in the same place? So if I took a stock off a rifle and replaced it, and also owned a pistol version of same rifle, I have to relocate the old stock?

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...