Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > How much do M1 garands go for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How much do M1 garands go for?

I was planning on picking one up eventually
besides a good gun show where else could i pick one up in good condition for a good price?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8427 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Well, you might want to check the website for the ODCMP- Dept of Civilian Marksmanship. A quasi-governmental agency that SELLS M-1 Garands to citizens that meet the qualifications. See their website for qualifications. MOST of theirs are shooter grade- good rifles, not collectors items. Send in the paperwork and payment, and they mail your rifle to you. For current selling prices, auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, search CLOSED AUCTIONS, last 90 days, plug in garand in the search criteria- and will show you what they have sold for. And Google the term "M1 thumb"

Enjoy your rifle- and see if CMP still has 30-06 ammo for sale.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, you might want to check the website for the ODCMP- Dept of Civilian Marksmanship. A quasi-governmental agency that SELLS M-1 Garands to citizens that meet the qualifications. See their website for qualifications. MOST of theirs are shooter grade- good rifles, not collectors items. Send in the paperwork and payment, and they mail your rifle to you. For current selling prices, auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, search CLOSED AUCTIONS, last 90 days, plug in garand in the search criteria- and will show you what they have sold for. And Google the term "M1 thumb"

Enjoy your rifle- and see if CMP still has 30-06 ammo for sale.
ah...
hahaha i see now
the M1 thumb thing...
thanks shooter!

i was just wondering if it was possible to build one yourself maybe
and would it be cheaper?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 09-07-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: the second question

Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
ah...
hahaha i see now
the M1 thumb thing...
thanks shooter!

i was just wondering if it was possible to build one yourself maybe
and would it be cheaper?
The thumb thing happens to everyone once. And it usually only takes one time to know better... it HURTS!!!!!!!!!!

I got my garand with a 6XX,XXX serial number, boyd's stock, and nice barrel (low TE and good muzzle) for $850. All parts are springfield (though not the same year manufacture), and boyd's stocks are supposed to be the best recreation stocks available.

The CMP rifles are in good condition for the money, but not the best you can buy. I'm still thinking about getting one from them, to have a second, but want to allocate my funds elsewhere first.

Build one to save money? No. You are better off buying a cheap CMP rifle and slowly upgrading the parts that need replacing.

Build one to match up same manufacturer parts/years? Sure, but not necessary. Collectors say that the garands were often rebuilt on the battlefields of WWII and Korea, so an original "all matching/correct" garand is unlikely to be legit surplus. The only way to get an all matching garand is to build one from parts or get one of the very few that didn't enter regular service.

By the way... I LOVE my garand. Everyone should own at least one.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Garand

An excellent quality rifle will cost you a thousand or more depending upon its condition. Otherwise you can pick up some cheaper.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

The CMP has plenty of ammo available for the Garand. In fact, it seems they now have a supply of Lake City surplus available.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #7

I found my 1943 Springfield at a gun show for $600. This about 8 yrs ago. New wood, I think armory restocked. "Accurized" for CMP comp. Looks like new, inside and out.

Now I check prices and find I made out like a bandit.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #8

CMP is, by FAR, the best, most reliable place to get a Garand. Both my M1's (march 42 and June 44 SA's) came from there. Both shoot quite well too and had low throat and muzzle wears.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I saw one last year at my favorite funshop that was priced at about $1700 but that was a limited edition. It was really cool, it had "June 6th 1944, Normandy France" engraved on the right side of the stock under the bolt. It also had a group of soldiers running up the beach on the buttstock, engraved that is.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #10

The only way they will send his Garand to his door is if he has an FFL01 / 03 or a C&R license in his name, other than that, you'll have to have the Garand sent to a gunshop willing to participate in the transaction. See the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968. That is what I had to do to get my Garand. CMP is still selling M-2 Ball suited to the M-1 Garand.

"Voodoo Child {slight return}". Yes, it is the name of a song by Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited by GarandGuy; 02-06-2009 at 10:46 PM.