HK91 vs. SAR-3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > HK91 vs. SAR-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default HK91 vs. SAR-3

Well, I've decided that my 7.62x51 semi auto will be an HK91 or SAR-3 (I do not want a PTR-91 or CETME for my own reasons). From what I know about these, they are essentially identical. The only difference being that the SAR-3 is a Greek clone of the HK-91.

However I'd like to hear ya'lls experiences and opinions on the differences (in any) between the two. I have plenty of wiggle room in my budget, so price is not a main concern.

Btw, please no, "Go get a M1A, or a FN FAL..." My inquiry is on the HK91 vs. SAR-3.

Thanks for your replies

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight." -Psalms 144:1

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

HK is the top dog commanding top dollar. The SAR is license built on HK tooling and very comparable. The SAR will sell for a bit less money than the "real deal".

I hope you have $2500 extra laying around because that is what a specimen in good shape will set you back.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Good to know the SAR-3 is comparable. I've been seeing a large amount of those in my area lately for some reason. It seems to be the best option aside from buying an oringinal HK.

Thanks for the input.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight." -Psalms 144:1

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9

Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guy at the last gunshow was trying to get $1,000 for an HK G3, looks like an HK 91 to me?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Most likely a G-3 clone for $1000. A real G-3 is full auto and obviously stolen for that price. Century is making some G-3 clones in that price range.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Most likely a G-3 clone for $1000. A real G-3 is full auto and obviously stolen for that price. Century is making some G-3 clones in that price range.
I'm sure you are correct, I have taked a lot of BS for not buying it, but it sure seemed awful cheap...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

There are 2 basic patterns for these rifles, CETME and HK-91/G-3. Both are good platforms, but you have to know which one you are getting. There is about 85-90% parts interchangability. Some of the more critical parts like bolts and locking pieces are NOT interchangable.

Mags are interchangeable in that HK mags work in either, but CETME mags rarely work in HK's. There are some CETME clones that are made with HK mag well configuration. IMHO the quality of these rifles in descending order is

HK
Greek
Springfield SAR-3 (Greek version)
Springfield SAR-3 (Brazilian version)
CETME (Mars import) (Very rare and VERY expensive)
PTR-91
Century G-3
Century CETME

I have one fom the top of the list and one from the bottom of the list. I bought the CETME not knowing much about them and have upgraded it to be field grade. It is primarily a SHTF back up to the HK.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParker View Post
...I do not want a PTR-91 or CETME for my own reasons...
not sure what those reasons are, since the PTR-91 is very nice for the money.