Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Hipoint 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have guns from Weatherby, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Howa, Remington, Winchester, Marlin,Smith & Wesson, Stoeger, Keltec, and a HiPoint carbine in 9mm.

I have had almost no reliablility problems with any of them. I think the problem lies in lumping all the low-end/low cost guns as having the same quality or reliability. I know that the HiPoint carbine is made with cheaper metal and has greater tolerances for the parts, but it hasn't failed to work when I want it to. It isn't like a Jennings or Jiminez or one of the other "cheap" manufacturers out there. I get the same kind of vibe when I hear a motorcyclist dis every other maker because it "is not a Harley". There isn't much to back up the statement except a personal bias that is very likely not founded in knowledge of other offerings but rather a justification for the excessive dollars the person spent on what he has.

Sure a HiPoint is not a Colt 1911, but it isn't meant to be. Just as a '60's VW bug isn't a Cadillac, but it got the job of transportation done and done to the satisfaction of the person driving it.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Last edited by fireguy; 01-15-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added S&W

Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live were they are made Mansfield OH well close to it any way there are a couple local police departments used them for close entry guns and i know a few guys with them and they are very reliable and fairly accurate my cousin is a police officer in Cleveland and he said highpoint pistols are the most confiscated pistol for the past 5yrs cause the are cheap and go bang every time i think the pistols are like shooting a brick the carbine for the money is allot of fun you can get 15rd mags at midway

Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #23

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Unfortunately I gotta stick with the 10rd mags since nys has a bunch of idiots in Albany... I hate our laws so much

Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #24

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

If you're willing to spend $300 on a rifle...why not save up a little bit more money and get something quite a bit better? I'm not knocking the capability of the Hi-point rifle...it's got a straight barrel and it goes "boom"...but lets be honest, it's an "Ugly baby" rifle...everyone knows at least one person with an ugly baby who, when viewed by friends & family, people go "ohhhhh.....what a .... cute....baby". I know that sounds very ass hole of me...im just being honest and not sugar coating anything. Plus - regardless of anything else, you *do* get what you pay for where firearms are concerned. Starting with jams, misfeeds, and lack of quality, cheap fire arms are cheap for a reason.

You *will* spend your time defending yourself over and over, and, IMO, you will simply grow to not enjoy owning it.

Also, buy something that will increase with value as time goes on. One thing is guaranteed in this country...people will always pay top dollar for a good gun. Guns *are* an investment, as well as a weapon of self defense, and an item of entertainment. If you can't have all 3 in one package, then you're just collecting...or wasting your money (depending on what sort of gun you buy)

You mentioned you liked the hi-point mainly because it shot cheap ammo. So if that's a key buying point for you, you don't get much cheaper than .22lr. Check out the M&P15-22 MOE 22LR 16" FDE from Smith & Wesson (there are other 15-22's from them there are ~$100 cheaper in the .22 model)

You can buy .22 ammo at your local Wal-mart for about $0.04 a round (my box of 550 cost me $20)

If .22 isn't your thing, and you want something a little beefier, there's lots of mid-range priced AR-15s out there. Going this route, you may sacrifice on quality when compared to a Bushmaster or a Colt, for example, but you're getting a much better rifle than a Hi-Point 9mm.

For example, check out the Doublestar Star-15 .223

Depending on where you go, what you buy, and how much bulk you buy in, you can get .223 anywhere from $0.20 to $0.40 a round (respectively) which is still pretty cheap.

Ammo prices in comparison (from Cheaperthandirt.com buying Tulammo as a reference)

.22 - $0.04
9x19mm - $0.17
.223 - $0.20

So set down with yourself and really think through what it is you want in a rifle. There's lots of variables for you to consider so that you make sure that you'll both enjoy the rifle now, and in the future, for what it is, with no regrets.

Again...just how I approach things when I decide what gun im going to buy next.

Quote:
Sure a HiPoint is not a Colt 1911, but it isn't meant to be. Just as a '60's VW bug isn't a Cadillac, but it got the job of transportation done and done to the satisfaction of the person driving it.
This is why i'm saying "decide what *you* want in a rifle"

You can go buy an '89 Geo Metro ... that thing gets like 70 mpg or something crazy like that.

*IF* all you need is a vehicle to get across town to work in, sure, it gets the job done, like the VW bug, it's not a Cadillac. It's got a 3 banger, not going to haul much other than a driver and maybe a passenger on a good day.

But, if you're after something to haul your trailer, have fun in, and take out for a night on the town, you'd be happier with the Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala. (don't have to get a cadillac to have fun)

There's nothing wrong with the Geo Metro...it does what it's intended to do. But for a little bit more $$, you can get something "better"...*IF* "better" is what you're after...if you're only interested in the 70+mpg, then seriously go for it, you'll be happy for the duration of the vehicles life.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 01-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #25

I actually just sold a 22lr ak47 for a shotgun for my girlfriend.... It's to boring to shoot with only 10rd clips lol..

And I have a RRA AR15 worth 2k already..
Il looking for another caliber with some kick but is cheap... Also have a saiga 7.62 so that's out. 12ga rem 870 and 30-06 tc venture are on my shelf too..

I can buy 500rds of 9mm for 200 bucks and for brass ammo. I don't reload now but I probably will down the road so im saving all my brass as I shoot it.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #26

Also this could be a gun my girl will shoot a lot when we go upstate too.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #27

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts

I shot my friends hi point carbine once it was very accurate, the only thing I didn't like is that the trigger felt like it took 20 lbs to break and I felt like I wad squeezing so hard that it was difficult to enjoy as much as it could have been. I am sure a trigger job or a new trigger would fix that though

Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
What's your pros and cons on the hi point in 9mm Luger? Might get one since ammo is cheap and the gun is only 300 bucks.. Can u use steel cases ammo in this gun too? Thank guys
UrbanNinja is right. It sells brand new for about $150 at gun shops

Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #29

Liked 2415 Times on 1375 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam78 View Post
UrbanNinja is right. It sells brand new for about $150 at gun shops
A 995TS carbine for 150$??

Not exactly paying attention to current events, are

we, Skippy?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #30

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

I have had the carbine for about a month now but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. However I am pretty sure it is going to be great, the two pistols I have from HiPoint have performed flawlessly. While I'll agree they are not the prettiest hand guns I have, they are certainly not the ugliest out there. I happen to like the way the carbine looks and I like the weight. It feels like I'm holding something real.

While out shooting I haven't had to defend anything I'm shooting as I don't shoot with snobs. And just like my other choices in life I make for myself not for others. The HiPoint is not a cheap gun, it is an inexpensive gun. I did however notice that my warranty with the carbine stated it had to be the original owner. While the pistols are not. Doesn't matter to me, I have every gun I ever owned. I never have or ever will sell or trade one. I also don't buy to invest (that's what my 401k is for) I buy to shoot.

If you like the rifle and the caliper appeals to you, then I don't see a need to spend more just because of any gun snobs that may be out there. The gun functions well and is fun to shoot is that not point. I like the fact that while someone is saving up to buy one gun I bought 3 for the same price.