High Point 995 9mm Carbine - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > High Point 995 9mm Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You guys might like them but I would NEVER own 1. You do realize they are blowback action and made of cast zinc right? Ok for a plinker I suppose but I wouldn't trust my life with 1. I've seen too many that were bad. Quality is spotty so while majority of them function ok,there's always some clunkers that gets out. I mean how much quality can you expect from something that cheap? Better to get good used rifle of better make. Go ahead and flame me all you like but he did ask everybody's opinion and speaking from gunsmith's standpoint,they're horribly designed.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I beleive it. But for an affordable fun gun, there is none better.

I love mine with the ATI stock.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #13

I recently bought a High Point Model 995 Carbine! and I put the ATI Stock on it. I LOVE IT! Its a GREAT little gun. I want to upgrade to a "red dot" sight, but i don't know what to go with. I would like to stay under 150 bucks, but what is the best one to go with for this gun? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #14

Default 995

I bought one the same day I bought an ak and ar..picked it up as it was a cheap rifle to give to my father for some protection at the campground..its butt ugly , but feels good when aiming it..it doesnt like winchester ammo..(the relief champer in the shell casing)..I think its the best bang for the buck after shooting it..(I want to "hotrod " one and a couple of other guns I have)but really dont want to spend any any more on it till I find out what obama is gonna do..I did buy 3 10 rd mags thru Hi-point for it tho..its cheap..can be made pretty..shoots an affordable round..and has a better warrenty that walmarts..I only wish I had bought a couple of them instead of some of the exspensive toys I bought..I read a couple of articles that are not too hot on the high point pistol but still theres that warrenty on them also..think I might try one of those 9mm s/a pistols as I need a a 9 pistol anyway

Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #15

Default debating my options

I've been doing my homework on the 995 carbine as well as the sub-2000 rifle. both have good points and a price i can afford. I might even eventually own them both, but for now I wanna buy the better of the two as my first firearm that'll be bigger than my hand. (i've owned 3 other guns in my life, a .22lr semi pistol, a .25 semi pistol, and my current .22short revolver, all were easily hidden in my hand) Anyone own one or both of these and can give some owner insights?

Thanks in advance.

I am whatever you say I am...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #16

I went shooting with a friend yesterday,who happens to be the previous owner of my 995.As we were shooting the various guns we had brought he kept going back to it saying how much fun it is and how he might (will) get another, I was beginning to get the feeling he wanted to buy it back!NO ^$#%@*& WAY, 'cause it's stupid fun to plink with one of these things. I don't regret buying it for a moment.ATI stock,sling,and a Cabela red dot.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #17

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You guys might like them but I would NEVER own 1. You do realize they are blowback action and made of cast zinc right? Ok for a plinker I suppose but I wouldn't trust my life with 1. I've seen too many that were bad. Quality is spotty so while majority of them function ok,there's always some clunkers that gets out. I mean how much quality can you expect from something that cheap? Better to get good used rifle of better make. Go ahead and flame me all you like but he did ask everybody's opinion and speaking from gunsmith's standpoint,they're horribly designed.
How can you say they are horribly designed? The few carbines I've heard of that had a problem were sent back to Hi-Point and returned in perfect condition. I've read about many that have been fired thousands of times and never malfunctioned. I've seen and heard about clunkers from other manufacturers that cost way more than the Hi-Point.
I say buy one, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.Maybe gunsmiths don't like them because they don't break and if they do, the manufacturer fixes them for free. Gunsmith can't make a dollor off them.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When you reach into the DOZENS to repair,let me know, I have had literally dozens brought into the shop to repair/send back to factory. REREAD my post above-they are blowback operated when cartridges of that size and pressure level in NO WAY should be blowback operated and made of cheap cast zinc alloy. They should have a steel slide and operate based on recoil operation. I've seen too many come apart, and try field stripping them. It sounds like you havn't had exposure to dozens of them as I have. When you have, we'll talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
How can you say they are horribly designed? The few carbines I've heard of that had a problem were sent back to Hi-Point and returned in perfect condition. I've read about many that have been fired thousands of times and never malfunctioned. I've seen and heard about clunkers from other manufacturers that cost way more than the Hi-Point.
I say buy one, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.Maybe gunsmiths don't like them because they don't break and if they do, the manufacturer fixes them for free. Gunsmith can't make a dollor off them.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 AM   #19

I USED TO have 1, key phrase is "used to" They aree cheap plastic guns, bottom line you get what you pay for.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
When you reach into the DOZENS to repair,let me know, I have had literally dozens brought into the shop to repair/send back to factory. REREAD my post above-they are blowback operated when cartridges of that size and pressure level in NO WAY should be blowback operated and made of cheap cast zinc alloy. They should have a steel slide and operate based on recoil operation. I've seen too many come apart, and try field stripping them. It sounds like you havn't had exposure to dozens of them as I have. When you have, we'll talk.
I had to send mine back and High Point sent me basically a BRAND NEW gun and it didnt cost me a dime! so... For 150 bucks and as long as they stand behind their warranty as well as they do I figure its well worth it for a little play toy!