High end semi auto - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

High end semi auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I just noticed you posted in your OP "hunting, target shooting, and home defense."

Those are three extremely different applications and usually require three very different weapons.

The best one I know of to cover all your bases is probably the AR 15...
I totally agree. I have taken my AR on a few hunts now. Much easier then my CZ-550. (ssshhh...I almost feel like I am cheating.)

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #22

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

A .308 is a lousy choice for home defense, unless you live a mile from your nearest neighbor. The trouble with semi-auto, high-power rifle bullets is that they don't know the difference between bad guys and your neighbor's kid.

Carl Sagan
Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

My vote is the scar17 fantastic rifle
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I just noticed you posted in your OP "hunting, target shooting, and home defense."

Those are three extremely different applications and usually require three very different weapons.

The best one I know of to cover all your bases is probably the AR 15...
Totally agree with you and I know a deference between them because of that I asked for a high end weapon that has all of what I require
Thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #25

One suggestion is SIG SPAR 751 but it is bet heavy and also lesbear

Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 593

In my opinion, the SCAR-17S is currently where it's at. If there's a .308 battle rifle that could be called lightweight and ergonomic, this is it. It's easy to take apart, isn't muzzle heavy, has more than enough space for optics and accessories, and has relatively soft recoil. The military should have mandated SR-25 magazine compatibility and the trigger that it comes with isn't anything special. Pretty accurate for a pencil barreled battle rifle. The barrel length and weight are ideal for movement in confined spaces, like a house.

The M14 is an outdoor, open spaces, magazine-fed M1. It's durable and accurate, but it wasn't designed with optics in mind and most of your aftermarket stock options are ridiculously heavy and/or expensive. USGI fiberglass stocks are about as good as you're going to get. I have a SEI M-14 with their optics mount and upgrade parts. A SEI M-14 is even more expensive than a SCAR-17S and both the rifle and its magazines are heavier. Perhaps if you lived in a mansion it would be a home defense rifle, but not in any type of normal house.

I sold the HK-91 that I owned and will never own another while better rifles are available. I purchased the HK-21E rear sight on it and the sights were still not as good as M1 or M14 sights. I later mounted an optic on it. It was a beast. The AR-10/15 pattern iron sights are the best I've seen apart from target rifle sights. It has the ergonomics of a barbarian's club and recoil is atrocious. The HK-21E stock helps a little, but not much. If that's not enough, it's muzzle heavy, too. Cleaning was pretty easy, though. Use grease.

AR-10's are purported to have the best accuracy. Economy AR-10's are not the same as more expensive makes. Everything about KAC rifles is expensive. Like AR-15's, reliability has a lot to do with how well you keep it lubed. The economy AR-10 pattern rifles I've messed with are not something I'd want to trust my life to. I've handled a HK 417 and it was simply too muzzle heavy for my tastes. HK could have easily made that gun a pound lighter without the silly quad rail and buttstock.

I've never shot a SIG 716, so I can't speak to how much better or worse they are than other AR-10's. It weighs more than a pound more than the SCAR and is actually slightly heavier than the SAI M1A SOCOM.

Weight, especially near the muzzle, is the enemy when you have to quickly move the muzzle around. Apart from accessory interfaces, this is where the SCAR is superior to its competitors.

The S&W M&P 10 is actually slightly lighter than the SCAR. I'm thinking whenever someone makes a durable AR-10 polymer or magnesium lower, the SCAR will have met its match for civilian use. The military will keep the SCAR because they can mount UNS in front of their optic.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

My buddy bought a colt le901 a few months back and we have shot it a couple times... That is a great gun ! Not sure of civilian pricing as me and him get our guns through colt law enforcement but for hunting, target shooting its awesome. Home defense I guess, a little over kill if you ask me.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #28

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

OP, I had the same question a few months back. Check out the thread 7.62 Battle Rifle. I'm leaning toward the 17S, but I want to know more about the POF.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1017 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I have 2 battle rifles. SA M1A and the Enfield. It's older technology, like me. A scoped M1A is most deadly. The iron sights on either are great for multiple target acquisition at distance.
It is wonderful to have so many choices. Everyone gets to be happy. It's just difficult to choose just one.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Did you check out the HK G3s?