Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Hi Point 995 Carbine 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Hi Point 995 Carbine 9mm

What do you guys think of these? I am looking at them, and they can be found brand new for under $200 dollars. That is fully affordable for me. And since I am now 18 I can legally buy one.

I read that they use polymers and alloy metals as much as possible to make for a cheap gun. My question is how reliable are these? I know the manufacture gives a lifetime warrentee no questions asked. But I dont want to have to keep getting it fixed.

For my first firearm purchase, and as a strict target/fun/plinking gun would this be a good choice? I dont need something extravagant, just something that wont bust on me, and can take alot of rounds being put thru it.

Picture of said gun

After owning it for a while, I would upgrade to the ATI Nylon stock

Which almost makes it look like a baretta storm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #2

Holy crap, I cant beleive I missed the thread a few links down.

SORRY!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #3

Take this for what its worth. I've only been shooting for about 6 months and I only own two firearms but what I've learned really quick is that you can spend more on ammo then you would ever believe.

If you want something for plinking and just having a good time get a 22 of some kind. Ammo costs NOTHING. You can shoot all day long for about 15 bucks. Even 9mm will cost you more then you think and if your starting new to the sport your going to want to shoot a lot and it will add up.

When I got my first gun a buddy of mine got one also. I got a 22 he got a 9mm. We work the same job for the same pay and both of us are in love with the sport. I shoot 3 times as much and its really because of ammo cost.

Don't get me wrong, that looks like a cool gun and for $200 what the hey. But it may not be the best for starting out.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
Take this for what its worth. I've only been shooting for about 6 months and I only own two firearms but what I've learned really quick is that you can spend more on ammo then you would ever believe.

If you want something for plinking and just having a good time get a 22 of some kind. Ammo costs NOTHING. You can shoot all day long for about 15 bucks. Even 9mm will cost you more then you think and if your starting new to the sport your going to want to shoot a lot and it will add up.

When I got my first gun a buddy of mine got one also. I got a 22 he got a 9mm. We work the same job for the same pay and both of us are in love with the sport. I shoot 3 times as much and its really because of ammo cost.

Don't get me wrong, that looks like a cool gun and for $200 what the hey. But it may not be the best for starting out.
i aggree the 22 would be the best thing for a first timer. very cheap ammo and very fun to shoot, if you want more power u can also get a shotgun and get target loads and spend 15 bucks for 100 rounds. you can also upgrade both firearms to look just as cool if not cooler than the hi-point, but if you must have the carbine, ive had a couple freinds who've had them and havnt heard anything bad about them just my opinion. good luck on your decision

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 AM   #5

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

However, let me explain. I have a Winchester Model 190 .22 that I shoot all the time. Its dead on 50yards and I LOVE IT!! I also have a Remington 12guage knock off pump I love. I have a Remington model 1100 20ga semi auto I love to shoot as well.

Lastly, I have a .300 Savage I just bought bullets for because it costs 35 dollars for 20. Have not shot that gun yet, but because of cost of ammo, I cant shoot it often at all.

My uncle has an uzi model B that I love to shoot, and can any time I want. But its still not mine. However he has a massive surplus of 9mm I get to shoot up. So with this HP995 I can use his ammo, and its still my gun. It would work perfectly.

Besides, the 9mm is still 'cheap' in relative terms as to .308, .30-06, .223 etc etc etc. Can get what, 50 or 100 rounds for like 18 dollars around here. I dont remember which pack it is.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #6

And is it just me, or but in all the pictures, is the bolt you grab on the left side of the gun? Is this a left handed gun? I shoot on my right side..

Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #7

i have a hi-point 9mm carbin ,yes it looks cheap but i have had no problems with it at all and it is accurate ,i use it to plink around

Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 AM   #8

Thats my plan!

I think I am going to order it tomorrow, and buy it thrusday.

So what side is the bolt on? Pictures look like you gotta pull the bolt back to load it on the left side? I am used to guns being on the right side. Whats with this

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #9

The bolts on the left. And one other kinda bad thing that no one mentioned is that the bolt doesn't stay open when the mags empty.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #10

That will be strange. I'm used to it being on the right side.

That not staying open isnt that big of a deal. My 22 doesnt. I'm used to it. Its not a pistol, in the end at least.

Is it true that you cant used the ATI stock, with a 15 round mag? I read taht you cant, but found a picture that proved otherwise

Last edited by ArrizX; 11-18-2008 at 06:37 AM.