Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Hi point 45 acp carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi point is a notoriously cheap gun. It's cheaply made and unreliable. If you managed to get one that works then good on you. But as a standard, even crappy security companies dont even allow you to carry a hi point for work. As for accuracy, if you can't shoot a human sized target with any kind of rifle from 50 yards you shouldn't have a rifle. The minute of angle is whats important on a rifle so test that at 100 yards to really see where that high point stands. Something good to be said is that it IS a firearm and its light on the wallet.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
Hi point is a notoriously cheap gun. It's cheaply made and unreliable. If you managed to get one that works then good on you. But as a standard, even crappy security companies dont even allow you to carry a hi point for work. As for accuracy, if you can't shoot a human sized target with any kind of rifle from 50 yards you shouldn't have a rifle. The minute of angle is whats important on a rifle so test that at 100 yards to really see where that high point stands. Something good to be said is that it IS a firearm and its light on the wallet.
All I heard from this is "blah, blah, blah".
I don't think anyone here is planning on getting a job working the high stress, high speed world of retail security using a high point carbine. Mine is for fun, and I can shoot a rifle just fine, thank you very much. You sound kind of preachy for just starting out.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy

All I heard from this is "blah, blah, blah".
I don't think anyone here is planning on getting a job working the high stress, high speed world of retail security using a high point carbine. Mine is for fun, and I can shoot a rifle just fine, thank you very much. You sound kind of preachy for just starting out.
Lol just starting out on THIS forum, yes. My amount of comments in a forum is hardly a judge of knowledge my friend and that clearly shows with your choice to purchase a hi point. I'll use my 5 years as a force recon marine, multiple shooting packages with blackwater, being a cqb shooting instructor and career in high threat security overseas as a good judge of experience. I'm just giving my opinion like everyone else chief.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #14

The initial comment was for all hi point arms, not just carbines.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
That may be - but some folks enjoy shooting them at the range. Just because we are on this forum doesn't mean we are military or so forth.
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i wish they had a 30round capacity. i would get one
Agreed. Isn't it something about the design of the way the mag is retained or something that limits mag size? A drum would sell by the ton as the "po boys' TommyGun".

Regarding the accuracy discussion: This thing isn't really a full-sized rifle; it is a carbine and a budget-priced one to boot. As such, i would expect a bit less than MOA accuracy myself. I think it would be an interesting home defense firearm and plinking toy.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
....Regarding the accuracy discussion: This thing isn't really a full-sized rifle; it is a carbine and a budget-priced one to boot. As such, i would expect a bit less than MOA accuracy myself...
Not to mention it is pistol caliber.
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi

That may be - but some folks enjoy shooting them at the range. Just because we are on this forum doesn't mean we are military or so forth.
I realize that and military was never mentioned in my initial comment. I may seem overzealous in my opinions but that is all they are, just opinions. I did mention they are light on the wallet and they are still guns none the less. Not meant to offend.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #19

Default Tackle box

I was at the show a few weeks ago and got into a discussion with a dealer that had a few new hi point pistols. Something he said struck me as accurate. If you need a pistol to throw in your tackle box to deal with the odd water moccasin or snapping turtle on fishing trips, this is the gun. You'll pay less than $150 so if it gets dunked or lost or battered, or generally beat on...

...you just don't have to give a rats ass.

From that standpoint, I'd much rather drop a hi-point pistol to the bottom of Carter Lake than my Sig or my 1911.

It's kind of like my trucks. I've got a truck that I drive around. I wash it, detail the interior a couple times a year, don't allow food or smoking in it.

Then there's the other one. My Explorer. The old saying that you can't polish a turd applies here. The door panels are missing on the inside. none of the doors open from the outside so I have to leave at least one window open in all weather. But this is the truck I take up to Johnny Park and routinely bounce off trees and boulders and just about whatever gets in my way. All I care about with that one is that the 4-wheel drive works and the engine starts.

Both are as good as they need to be for the purpose to which I put them.

I don't have a hi point pistol. I plan on picking one up sued to put in my tackle box in the back of the mountain truck.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Agreed. Isn't it something about the design of the way the mag is retained or something that limits mag size? A drum would sell by the ton as the "po boys' TommyGun".

Regarding the accuracy discussion: This thing isn't really a full-sized rifle; it is a carbine and a budget-priced one to boot. As such, i would expect a bit less than MOA accuracy myself. I think it would be an interesting home defense firearm and plinking toy.
it uses the same mags as they use in the pistol version.

personally ive never seen any substantiated evidence of a hipoint not cycling. they are ugly heavy not very ergonomic and cheap but everyone that has said they arent reliable that ive read posts by have never fired one or owned one.

lots of peeps at the range i attend have hipoints ive never seen one in person having function issues

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...