Hi-Point - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Hi-Point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
Well, I don't know when your Hi-Point was made. I have actually looked at a few, and found most of them appeared to be put together quite well. In general, the slide is not made of 4140 steel, I believe, however, that the barrel is. As far as I know, any non-essential parts are made of polymers, or cheap metals.

The slide on ALL their pistols are heavy, for a reason. So far as I know, ALL their pistols operate on the blowback principle, which is why they make the slide so heavy.

I would however, love to try one of their carbines. I've heard nothing but good comments about them.

I bought the 4095 Carbine in 2004 for $189. The carbine's mechanism seems to be a clone of their pistols with a longer barrel and a carbine stock! It lookes cheap, and it's hard to clean because it involves extensive disassembly to clean the internals , but I have a .40 Beretta, so I figured since I reload, it would be a fun plinker. Boy was I right! It groups under 2" at 50yds. all day long with WWB 165gr. FMJ factory ammo, and I recently reloaded some ammo using 180gr. Hornady XTP HP. and got the groups down to the point where they are one ragged hole at 50 yds. Yes, it's cheaply made, but it's very light weight, has an aperture rear sight, pistol grip, and is very short, making it perfect for home defense, and it doesn't jam! What else do you need in a "fun gun" or a self defense gun? As far as their warranty - NOBODY BEATS IT!!! I did something very foolish two weeks ago. While reloading several hundred rounds of .40 cal ammo late at night, I must have either neglected to charge a case, or I contaminated the powder with case lube, because when at the range I chambered that round and it did not exit the barrel. I did not notice any change in recoil impulse and consequently did not realize that a bullet had not exited the barrel so I continued firing. After several rounds and not seeing any hits on target I looked at the gun carefully and noticed a bullet sticking half-way out of the barrel! I attempted to remove it with needle nose pliers but only succeeded in pulling the bullet from the jacket - the jacket stayed in the barrel. Next I attempted to drill out the jacket and the drill bit broke - indicating another obstruction behind the first bullet - I am assuming I had atleast 3 bullets stuck in that barrel! It DID NOT BURST OR SWELL. I called HiPoint (Beemiller Inc.) and explained what happened (bear in mind that they have warranty disclaimers for reloaded ammo) I asked if they could remove the bullets without damaging the rifling - I told them I would pay for the repairs since it was no fault of the gun - They told me the gun would have to be rebarelled and to send it back to them. I shipped the gun without the sling, magazine, and bolt handle so it would fit in the original box which I still had from 4 years earlier. They sent the gun back 7 days later with a new barrel, new stock, new bolt handle, new magazine, new sling and swivels, and a scope rail mount - FOR FREE, oh, and the repair technician enclosed a note telling me he also "buffed the trigger! (the trigger always sucked - gritty and stiff)
I don't care what anyone says, I will not hesitate to buy another HiPoint product, or recommend them. Incidentally - I shot 75 rounds through it yesterday and the accuracy is the same as before, and I experienced no jams. It's fun, it's cheap, and it's deadly accurate.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-01-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=RONSERESURPLUS;14211]Hello all
Yes, I am one of those that SAYS I HATE HI-POINT FIREARMS! I sell what folks want, but try for the Love of god to sell them most any other gun than these! It's not a GUN SNOB DEAL, it's a WHAT WORKS DEAL! Trust me, in time you will have problems with that HI=POINT! It's just not made any better than a Jennings 9MM and those were JUNK and I'm glad they stopped making it! The J-22 is a smaller, kigher gun and most times, at least these go BANG? I mean, without showing you in cracked slide and frame oarts? Sound like a gun you can count on and pass down? NOPE! Cheap Yea, work, Yea, most times, worth the $, NOPE! You can buy dam near anything else and be better served!

I don't know about their pistols, but from the looks of the HiPoint pistol it has the same mechanism as the Carbine - It's a blow-back laminated steel bolt housed in a nylon frame. I've put over 1000 rds. through the Carbine with no failures whatsoever. My carry guns are Beretta, PPK, and .357 revolver - My home protection gun is the HiPoint !

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-01-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #23

What it all boils down to "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".To some the Hi Point's and other cheaply made guns might be the greatest thing since walfare.I never have owned a Hi-Point or ever would or will.I would much rather save longer(or go in debt LOL) and buy a well made gun then some cheap gun I wouldn't put much faith in.That's just me.
On the other hand, not everyone can afford to lay out several hundred dollars for a gun and I respect that.They need to buy the best gun they can afford.Someone in the poverty isn't about to spend allot of money on a gun while they are starving or struggling to make ends meet.Even though the Hi Points and other cheaply made guns leave allot to be desired it still has to be better then defending yourself with a rock or stick. If it doesn't go bang throw it and run like hell.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Old 06-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's not a matter of cheap vs. expensive! It's whether or not you feel the gun works for you as it was designed to. Therefore anyone who hasn't owned one is really not qualified to comment on owning one...Any .22 rifle short of a CZ452, Browning or Ruger can be considered a "cheap' gun also - particularly the ones carrying old Armerican names that are now made in China, but they work and thousands are sold to people every year. You get what you pay for, but once in a whilel you get much more than you pay for or expected. The HiPoint Carbine is a perfect example. I would challenge anyone to a shooting/reliability competition at 50 yds. with ANY other 9mm or .40 cal Carbine...and I will guarantee you the HiPoint WILL win. For under $200 that's a damned good gun and a damned good deal!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
It's not a matter of cheap vs. expensive!
I agree, but for many, that is the only argument they have left. Thanks to people who own and love their Hi-Point pistols and carbines, and swear to their reliability, all that's left for the nay-sayers is to go by the adage, "you get what you pay for."

As much as I like Taurus pistols, there are those who will say to me, "you get what you pay for." Or, "I had one decades ago, it was a piece of junk."

And never mind that I've seen S&W and Colt's that had problems, "everyone has a problem now and then." Unless it's made by Hi-Point or Taurus, then it's "they're all pieces of junk."

In the end, I just turn around and say, "Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine. Fortunately, my opinion is the correct one."

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I agree, but for many, that is the only argument they have left. Thanks to people who own and love their Hi-Point pistols and carbines, and swear to their reliability, all that's left for the nay-sayers is to go by the adage, "you get what you pay for."

As much as I like Taurus pistols, there are those who will say to me, "you get what you pay for." Or, "I had one decades ago, it was a piece of junk."

And never mind that I've seen S&W and Colt's that had problems, "everyone has a problem now and then." Unless it's made by Hi-Point or Taurus, then it's "they're all pieces of junk."

In the end, I just turn around and say, "Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine. Fortunately, my opinion is the correct one."
Very true Al - unfortunately. The problem is really that the people who offering their "opinions" generally have no experience with them, or at best, they "know someone who does"... - from owning a 4095 Carbine I can say with complete confidence and knowledge that it is well made, accurate as hell, and probably the most "fun" gun I own. I would also not hesitate in the least to use it for self-defense. Their customer service is the best in the industry, I know, I have used several manufacturers warranty services over the years and none of them were as quick, cordial, or generous. When I mailed my Carbine in for re-barreling ( due to my stupid mistake) I received a new stock, bolt handle, sling, scope mount, magazine, and trigger job! They also paid the return postage because I forgot to pre-pay it!! Find that kind of service from Weatherby or Block!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Very true Al - unfortunately. The problem is really that the people who offering their "opinions" generally have no experience with them, or at best, they "know someone who does"... - from owning a 4095 Carbine I can say with complete confidence and knowledge that it is well made, accurate as hell, and probably the most "fun" gun I own. I would also not hesitate in the least to use it for self-defense. Their customer service is the best in the industry, I know, I have used several manufacturers warranty services over the years and none of them were as quick, cordial, or generous. When I mailed my Carbine in for re-barreling ( due to my stupid mistake) I received a new stock, bolt handle, sling, scope mount, magazine, and trigger job! They also paid the return postage because I forgot to pre-pay it!! Find that kind of service from Weatherby or Block!
Yeah, I don't even think Taurus would be that good. The interesting thing, I don't own a Hi-Point, and yes, I do know people who do own Hi-Points, and they all swear by them. I worked in New Orleans, post Katrina with guys who carried them. And at the range, I saw them all work without fail, while Glocks and Springfield XD's had problems.

I guess that makes me one of the few non-owner, Hi-Point fans. A rarity indeed.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 06-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I don't even think Taurus would be that good. The interesting thing, I don't own a Hi-Point, and yes, I do know people who do own Hi-Points, and they all swear by them. I worked in New Orleans, post Katrina with guys who carried them. And at the range, I saw them all work without fail, while Glocks and Springfield XD's had problems.

I guess that makes me one of the few non-owner, Hi-Point fans. A rarity indeed.
Or at least someone with an open mind! lol

I only have one Taurus gun - a Win. Mod. 63 clone - well made and accurate. I have a Rossi .357 mag that is junk - the reason I mention the Rossi is because I believe Taurus bought Rossi - I know they assumed their warranty service.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had one of each caliber. I still have the .380 and the 9mm. They are great self defense guns for the house and the truck. I sold the .40 and .45 only because they were so large, physically, that they couldn't be easily hidden. All have always shot well, very accurately. They even have adjustable sights. I have had my 9mm eat all kinds of ammo, even my poorly done reloads when I was first starting to reload, while my CZ and Ruger would not operate on my reloads.

They are safe and reliable with a great guarantee. There is not much to go wrong with them and if anything breaks and I haven't had anything break on mine, I can either order parts...for free, or send it back for a free overhaul. Enjoy your buy.

Dave

Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #30

Wow, RL357mag actually changed my opinion about actually owning one of these guns. I can't believe i'm saying this, but I might eventually pick one up. I think they're extremely ugly, but I've seen one with an aftermarket stock that looked much better. I think it sounds like a fun gun to shoot, and economical in 9mm. And even if I didn't like it, it's not like I"m out a whole lot of money.