Hi-Point - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Hi-Point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I've heard the same comments on every board I am a member of, those that don't own one "know" they are junk and those that own them are surprised by how well they work. I own a number of handguns from big name makers and I would never say the Hi-Point was in the same class as them. It is ugly, heavy, and cheap looking,and it doesn't have a target trigger.
I bought a C9 a couple of years ago, more or less as a joke. I mean, a new 9mm for $125? But the joke was on me. I put more that 3000 rounds through it including some of that European MG stuff trying to break it and I couldn't, I didn't clean it until it started to jam, and that was at about 1200 rounds, I've never torn it down. The blow back action means the barrel is fixed and it is a decent shooter. I don't shoot it much anymore as I have better guns to take to the range. If my budget only allowed a cheap gun, I would trust that Hi-Point to work, mine feeds hollow points just fine.
In short, if it is all you can afford, it is the best of the cheap guns, and the lifetime warranty is for real.
I also have a 9mm carbine and it is a very impressive piece for the money.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #12

i have a hi-point .45 the thing is ugly heavy not balanced very well, and i cant fit as many rounds into the clips as they said i could and if i do mash that many rounds into the clip it wont fire. it was a sub 150$ BRAND NEW gun though, other then those issues ive put about 1700 rounds through the gun with no problems. If it was being used to stop an intruder or somthing along those lines and didnt fire i could always throw the heavy thing at them probably doing as much damage. I have a few other guns that i would use before this one though but its somthing i will bring to the range fire a few rounds and entertian my self enough. I would recomend buying one for just some random shooting range fun but other then that save your money. But i did read some where some park rangers use them somewhere to protect them selves from bear attacks, but the state could just be cheap.
so i own one and am on the fence with this, i dont regret buying it but im not completely satisfied. but its not broken and still fires so whos gunna argue with that.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #13

Default hi-point

I get a kick out of posters who run down an object because its inexpensive.
MKS does not make the guns they sell them,there are 3 manufacturers.and MKS also sells Charter arms guns.I have a compact, never jams.prices should be= sugested retail $139 for 9 mm and $149 for 45 and $189 for rifle.price may vary.only thing they dont like lead bullets because of the poly rifling.
I also have S&W mod 52/S&W 41/and 10 with bomar rib.its a low cost gun to care for the people who do not have several hundred dollars to spend.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hi-point?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

This is one time I'm gonna run "Accross the Grain" with many posters here! I'd had an FFL, and sold and Bought a lot of guns before that and after that! I have Sold and Bought Raven 25's and Jennings 25 and 22's! I have boiught and sold Davis Semi-auto's and a lot of other guns I begged the folks to buy a better gun instead! I have Bought a Few Hi- points Both i the Carbine as well as the Hangun and thier is a Valid reason they give you a LIFETIME WARRANTY! I've had falures from custumers shooting factory loads in a 9MM, a 45, all the 40's seemed to hol up better! Was this right away. NO! Was it a catestrophic falure a few times! YES! Cracked SLIDE and a CRACKED FRAME! Both of these "SHINNING EXAMPLES" were of course covered under warranty and the customer got a new gun each time! The Carbines in 9MM I've never seemed to see any problem! Now, Please tell me, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that I didn't see what I saw and never had to ship back near 5 of these "LUMPS", in as many years? Tell me that Big Blocky, poorly balleneced guns were a better buy then a Used Police Model of any brand? Tell me that the Junker 9MM Jennings were worse? I'd love to hear it, as I have sold all of these and know the real results! If you have one of these and it serves you, WONDERFULL! I hope that you get good use out of it and I'm never saying that this gun is worse than no gun at all, BUT FOLKS< YOU CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER FOR THE SAME $! Buy a Bulgarian Makarov, a PA-63, a P-64 Polish, a Used model 10 from a Police turn in, add a few X the cost and buy a GLOCK! Buy something that will last and you can pass down to your kids and Grandkids, not a LUMP that you will need to fix and replace! The same $ will buy you so MUCH MORE and a BETTER DEAL!

Yes, I am one of those that SAYS I HATE HI-POINT FIREARMS! I sell what folks want, but try for the Love of god to sell them most any other gun than these! It's not a GUN SNOB DEAL, it's a WHAT WORKS DEAL! Trust me, in time you will have problems with that HI=POINT! It's just not made any better than a Jennings 9MM and those were JUNK and I'm glad they stopped making it! The J-22 is a smaller, kigher gun and most times, at least these go BANG? I mean, without showing you in cracked slide and frame oarts? Sound like a gun you can count on and pass down? NOPE! Cheap Yea, work, Yea, most times, worth the $, NOPE! You can buy dam near anything else and be better served!

RON L

Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #15

I'm not a poster who will run down something because it's inexpensive or cheaply made. But don't try to sell me on something that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole with someone else arm, just because you haven't had a problem with it yet.

I won't try to sway anyone (even if they friggen asked for opinions) but please do the same for us. Just because you own that particular firearm and so far it does what you think it should, it does not mean the rest of us are snobs for not owning it and preferring something else.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #16

Default hi point

perhaps the problem is the use the gun gets.Iver johnson and H&R come to mind.they worked and were put in drawer or carried for protection.in those days not many fired them often.only target shooters fired a lot of ammo. nothing like now when some fire 500 rds in a day.seems to me the HI POINT comes in that class.in expensive gun .I have a 9 mm compact.shoots good. always feeds.very accurate.wount shoot lead worth a darn.I dont take it apart.just clean the barrel.keep it as house gun.I dont need a expensive gun.
but I have them.S&W 52,mod 10 with bomar rib,colt 45 acp with clark long slide.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmmo View Post
I'm not a poster who will run down something because it's inexpensive or cheaply made. But don't try to sell me on something that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole with someone else arm, just because you haven't had a problem with it yet.

I won't try to sway anyone (even if they friggen asked for opinions) but please do the same for us. Just because you own that particular firearm and so far it does what you think it should, it does not mean the rest of us are snobs for not owning it and preferring something else.
Honestly, my wife's is fairly accurate and has never jammed or misfed. What else can you ask for, especially when it cost you $80 with 4 boxes of ammo?

I normally say that if it isn't a 1911, it's junk and if you didn't pay more than $600, it's junk, but this pistol works and does it quite well at that.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had a few Hi- Points the only reason i still dont have them is i had to sell to get this or that. The C9 was a brick that fired bullets. It always went bang never missfed a round. It was ok and you could do alot better than them. Now the 9mm Carbine its a different story. I loved that little rifle it was a great little plinker. at 50 yards i could shoot the ends of pop cans all day when it had a scope on it. I original did not put the scope on it and shot it alot like that and it shot very well in 1000 rounds it only failed to go bang once and that was because of the ammo (cheap wolf) and not the gun. when i decided to try and put a scope on it i found that i had lost the scope mounts that came with it. No problem sent an email and had the mounts in the mail in less than a week at no cost to me. With the C9 i think you get what you pay for but the carbine is an excelent buy. I would love to see it put up aginst the beretta and see how it fairs. Just my two cents there.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been on the gun show circuit for years. I've fired Hi-Points on a number of occasions, and talked to a lot of dealers and customers who've fired them.

Call us snobs if you will, but just about everybody I've talked to agrees that it's a cheap POS that should only be purchased by people who are in dire financial straits.

No offense to the people who like Hi-Point, but I'll stick to brands like Kimber, Springfield etc.

If you can afford something better, by all means buy something better.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #20

I have a Hi-Point Carbine in .40 and have not had aproblem with it. it stays in my vehicle all the time and has never failed to fire for me and i have put well over 1000 rounds thru it. good cheap throw around back-up.