Help! What should i Buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Help! What should i Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help! What should i Buy?

Looking for a nice semi auto preferably a CandR something that will be fun to shoot and ammo is easy to find. Something accurate reliable and relatively low priced. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Apart from the curios and relics, I would recommend a Saiga in 7.62X39. They go for about 300-350, are accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. If you want to go with the curios and relics, perhaps a Yugo SKS (7.62X39) might do the job.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #3

Tech Sights now sells rear peep sights which go on the SKS.
They are listed at about $45 and $60.

People claim that their SKS is much more accurate with these, and that for a semi-auto using a round larger than .22, the SKS category is probably the highest value for the dollar. Mine is a typical Norinco.

If it were not for the Yugos' attached grenade launchers (extra weight and length), I would have bought a Yugo.
Many of these are still stored in gun shops with the original cosmoline, and they are considered as rugged as the Russian.

Last edited by Laufer; 02-28-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #4

yeha i've been looking at those saigas which one is "better" .223 or 7.62

Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #5

Default Saiga

I'd suggest looking at a Saiga 308. I have one with a short 16" barrel and love it. The standard Saiga version, chambered in 7.62mmx39 is fine if you like that caliber, But I don't. The 308 is 7.62mmx51 (NATO STANDARD) and is generally easier to find than 7.62x39. Its also NATO, so should remain available even in hard times. Its also easier to find Boxer Primed (reloadable) and can be used conveniently if you ever upgrade to some other US military standard weapon like an M1A.