Help with optics purchase
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Help with optics purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default Help with optics purchase

Looking at replacing my old tasco 4x32 scope on my ar15. I bought a NcStar Colt copy and sent it back to Optics World for a refund. But I have a buddy that will sell me his Nicon PROSTAFF 3-9X40 MATTE BDC for 100$. Is this a good scope to put on my gun that will imporve the results of my bad groupings of 8 inches at 100 yards? I may have another problem. When I bought my upper and built my gun on a PWA lower I bought it from a friend who had a [legal] machine gun in Florida many years ago. He was putting on a different twist for his gun and sold me his upper to build my gun. I have always wondered if the guns barrel was heated up too much and could this be why it seems like the gun will not shoot as accuratly as my Colt? Or is it the 29$ walmart tasco scope? The thing is I have had several of these cheap scopes on guns like my Remington 700 and they shot at 100 yards fine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

if the barrel came from a class 3 that saw a lot of use the barrel might be worn out. a decent smith that is familiar with ar15 can tell you. but its something that has to be hands on.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if the barrel came from a class 3 that saw a lot of use the barrel might be worn out. a decent smith that is familiar with ar15 can tell you. but its something that has to be hands on.
I don't think the bbl was shot out. I think he only said he put about 1000 rounds throught it before decideing to go with a different twist. I am sure he said it was a 1 in 9 and its chrome lined. It could be the scope. I have never been able to shoot spot on with it, so I got the NcStar and it was worse than the Tasco. I have a chance to put on a Nicon scope for 100 that is a fair optics for 100 yd. shooting. I just dont want to work on the wrong problem. If I need to repalce the bbl I can work on that. But I am not sure the bbl is the problem.

Last edited by edteach; 02-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 1351 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 415

One way to be sure. Take one of the scope off your Remington 700 and try it with your AR. That should determine if it's your gun or your scope. But I would go with the Nikon or maybe your buddy will let you try it to see if you need the scope.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
One way to be sure. Take one of the scope off your Remington 700 and try it with your AR. That should determine if it's your gun or your scope. But I would go with the Nikon or maybe your buddy will let you try it to see if you need the scope.
I think your right but its a good buy on the Nikon. Here is the gun as it is now. Before I remove the old Tasco.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2337/serialnumberchangedfori.jpg