Help, need input in next hour.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Help, need input in next hour.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Help, need input in next hour.

How does an AR 10 compare to an FAL? Sportsmans has DPMS LR-308 on sale for $1k till 9 tonight. Is it good? Should I look for another L1A1? Please advise Quickly. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #2

the lr 308 is ok. You might have to put a trigger kit in .

Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could probably build one but it would run you $1400 or more. The DPMS is a good platform.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

HOLD UP!!!

This isn't a decision to be made in an hour, plus 1k for a DPMS isn't that great.

ALSO, THE DPMS LR-308 IS NOTan AR-10!!!

It takes different mags, many people don't like them. I have no experience with them so I can't say.

I can say that DPMS isn't even in the same leagues as other quality manufactures. I have seen so many poor fitting, crappy finished, pot metal junk from them in the past 6 months, to last a lifetime. I will never buy DPMS.

RESEARCH BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER A GUN!

I may not like it (and the wife HATES it), but it takes me months to get a gun picked out. But I enjoy craftsmanship and quality.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

?? Different mags?? What the heck?? What are these people doing to me? Maybe I'll just stick with my Marlin 30-30 forever.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, time's up, I didn't run out and buy it. Still would value input on various 308 AR type rifles. I'm thinking...

Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While I stock DPMS .308's and DSA FAL's my favorite .308 rifle is my CETME. Get one from Centerfire Industries for around $500. The mags are cheap and so plentiful I once received a bunch used as packing material. as a plus the CETME is lighter than either of the others above. Most HK-91 parts also fit onto the cetme, including a neat collapsible stock. I even had a 50 rd drum mag fitted to mine recently.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

see, ive ALWAYS loved AR-15s, and AR-1os... but i found a gun i actually like better... for a little bit more money, around 15oo... im going with the FN heavy 2o .308.... check out that gun, see whatcha think... ive only heard positive things so far...

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Well, time's up, I didn't run out and buy it. Still would value input on various 308 AR type rifles. I'm thinking...
I'm just starting to venture into the AR-10 world myself, otherwise I wouldn't have known the difference between the DPMS .308 and the AR-10. I still don't know the exacts, but I would advise getting a couple books. Gunsmithing The Ar-15 by Patrick Sweeny (I'm getting to be a fan of his. Didn't know about him at first.) has helped me out with my guns and fed my curiosity as well.

Are you dead set on a .308? Are you dead set on an AR? So many guuns. . . what may I sell you today??? The safe may be ready for a couple vacancies .

Old 12-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyinline View Post
see, ive ALWAYS loved AR-15s, and AR-1os... but i found a gun i actually like better... for a little bit more money, around 15oo... im going with the FN heavy 2o .308.... check out that gun, see whatcha think... ive only heard positive things so far...
Pick one up & you'll see my complaint- Heavy. I often find that guns with a fold-over carry handle are heavier than I like