You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help

Ok so I just started working for a gun site and I'm learning just how important it is to carry a gun. The problem I am having is I have no clue what a good gun would be for personal protection. I don't want to be taken out by a terrorist. My boss is saying I should carry a semi auto glock and my brother is arguing that saying I need a revolver. I figured I would ask a ton of gun lovers what they think so please give me your advice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10460 Times on 6242 Posts
Likes Given: 15330

You have to decide what fits you best. Try as many guns as you can and see what you like.

A semi auto has the advantage of holding more rounds than a revolver but revolvers rarely jam.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11248 Times on 5966 Posts
Likes Given: 10934

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ztacticalsupply View Post
Ok so I just started working for a gun site and I'm learning just how important it is to carry a gun. The problem I am having is I have no clue what a good gun would be for personal protection. I don't want to be taken out by a terrorist. My boss is saying I should carry a semi auto glock and my brother is arguing that saying I need a revolver. I figured I would ask a to.n of gun lovers what they think so please give me your advice!
First, take a course in handgun handling and safety!

Go with the Glock. Just as reliable as a revolver, easier to shoot accurately, and lightweight.

But remember that the ammo you choose is just as important as the weapon. Choose high quality (expensive) jacketed hollow points for carry, and inexpensive full metal jacket for practice.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 12-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Liked 102 Times on 79 Posts

I prefer semi auto but that's just a comfort and feel thing. That and I like the higher capacity and faster reloading. Either one would be great though as long as you make sure and practice. Any major caliber would be fine too, especially at short distances, so start by finding a platform that feels good in your hand...

Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Liked 3467 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 883

There really isn't a one size fits all answer.

As stated above, if you can get a chance to try different firearms then finding a gun that feels comfortable to you, and that you shoot well is key. Ensuring that it is reliable, accurate, has enough power to do its intended job, while being conveniently sized enough to make you want to carry it are many of the other factors to be considered.

These criteria could be met by a revolver or a semi-auto.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4419 Times on 2480 Posts
Likes Given: 2093

Now, as one who has trained a few people, I would like to offer my opinion.

I would learn with a revolver. A semi-auto does not have the same practicality to assist you with learning how to fix problems (flinch).

I am not saying that you should buy a revolver. You should buy what works for you.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Liked 560 Times on 321 Posts

You started working for a 'gun site'? What is a 'gun site'?

Like a website about guns?

Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

Liked 2432 Times on 1317 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Is there a shooting range near you? Your co-workers should have info. Your boss may be an excellent resource. Ask him or her where they like to shoot. Ask if they know of a range that rents guns. Perhaps your boss would be able to take you out and try their gun. Renting a gun before buying is a great investment. Finding out that a gun kicks the crap out of you is better found out before you dump $500 or more dollars on it. If you buy a brand new gun and decide you don't like it you will lose a bunch of money trading it in on something else. If this is your first time shooting I would look for a caliber that is not going to beat you up too bad. 9mm for a semi-auto or 38 special for a revolver. If you buy a 357 mag revolver it can shoot 38 special at the range and have 357 mag for self defense. Also remember, the lighter the gun the harder it will kick. Light guns are great for concealed carry. But they are usually not much fun at the range. Whatever you buy plan on going to the range with it at least a couple of times a year to practice. I shoot at least twice a month. My wife only shoots about 3 times a year. But she is definitely good enough to defend herself if the need should arise.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #9

Liked 765 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If your going to work in a nation that has a fair potential of encountering bandits and other criminal types, I imagine the company would enroll you in some sort of awareniss class and selfdefence training.
Its like bear awareness training and defence.
Stresses awareness training to avoid getting yourself in trouble and the defence training when avoidance fails.

http://www.bavariannews.com/understanding-who-needs-to-take-the-level-i-antiterrorism-awareness-training/

http://jko.jten.mil/courses/atl1/launch.html

http://www.citizendefensetraining.com/self_defense_courses.htm

http://www.warrior-concepts-online.com/self-defense-consultant.html

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 12-14-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #10

Liked 769 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 604

...another thing to think about is if you simply want it as a tool or are you thinking of being a firearms enthusiast. If it's a tool for protection get a Glock, XD or a M&P. If you want to know more about pistols, I'd consider a 1911 or a Beretta 92. That's if you want a semi-auto....If you want a Revolver....stick with S&W or Ruger IMO. Get a compact version in .357 and take out the bad guy and all his friends

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 12-14-2015 at 12:53 AM.