Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Gun shows and you... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/gun-shows-you-30526/)

slip 08-17-2010 08:05 AM

Gun shows and you...

How do you guys feel about buying ARs at the gunshow? What are some things I should look for? What are some things I should avoid?

I'm looking to buy my first AR just to have one for shooting...and uhhh, the impending zombie apocalypse :P

Thanks for the help!

DrumJunkie 08-17-2010 12:52 PM

I bought my AR at a gun show. It was from a FFL licensed seller that owns a shop elsewhere in my state (Ky). Yeah, you need to know who you are buying from at a gun show being there are some sellers doing private sales at booths and that might mean that a weapon can have an unsavory history. But that is not necessary the case. I try to not buy off sellers that are not FFL holders at shows but I have picked up a few over the years just like I have from other gatherings that have a lot of "trading" going on. Know how the weapon is supposed to work before you buy it is a good weapon to have in your arsonal whenever buying a firearm from anyone.... Even in a shop. It just makes sense to know what you are getting into. It also helps keep you safe. You shouldn't just run out and buy a firearm and not take it down to make sure that it is in proper working order. EWven a brad new weapon should be taken down and inspected and cleaned before you try to sling lead down range.

slip 08-17-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 333202)
I bought my AR at a gun show. It was from a FFL licensed seller that owns a shop elsewhere in my state (Ky). Yeah, you need to know who you are buying from at a gun show being there are some sellers doing private sales at booths and that might mean that a weapon can have an unsavory history. But that is not necessary the case. I try to not buy off sellers that are not FFL holders at shows but I have picked up a few over the years just like I have from other gatherings that have a lot of "trading" going on. Know how the weapon is supposed to work before you buy it is a good weapon to have in your arsonal whenever buying a firearm from anyone.... Even in a shop. It just makes sense to know what you are getting into. It also helps keep you safe. You shouldn't just run out and buy a firearm and not take it down to make sure that it is in proper working order. EWven a brad new weapon should be taken down and inspected and cleaned before you try to sling lead down range.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for :)

Anything else? What are some good brands I should look for? What are brands I should stay away from?

DrumJunkie 08-20-2010 06:05 AM

Thereare tons of decent AR's out there. I bought a Double Star a few years back. I like it a great deal but many might not being it's a rather plan no frills rifle.
Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag are all decent makers. and Double Star. I know a lot of people that build their own that will use a DS lower to start from. You can check out Double Star here
Here's mine
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Star15-01.jpg

It will all depend on what you are willing to spend on an AR. There are much smarter AR people than me on this forum.There's an AR sub-forum you might want to check out You can see it here

An AR can et expensive really fast depending what you want from it. For me the plain Jane M4gery is plenty. But many want more options. It's good to look around and get an idea what you want and how much you want to spend. Those two links should hep you OK. You will want to read the AR forums at any rate. THere are tons of info there from a lot of people here that ahve a ton of AR experience. :)

RedWineKline 08-20-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 333164)
How do you guys feel about buying ARs at the gunshow? What are some things I should look for? What are some things I should avoid?

I'm looking to buy my first AR just to have one for shooting...and uhhh, the impending zombie apocalypse :P

Thanks for the help!

I keep zombies in mind with all my purchases.. laugh if you want, but when it hits the fan, that roving gang of bikers looking to take my food and water are as dead as any zombie ;)

furthermore, research before hand bro, look at gun sites and gun sites and then check out some gun sites... read reviews, consider the options of the platform your buying and when you find the brands you want, make a list, in your head or on paper of the price ranges to expect... other than that, don't buy anything that looks as though its been used as a boat anchor.

also, I found out the hard way... A rail system on an M4 style rifle can bring the price up dramatically.. I later found systems I could have purchased and installed at half the price.. Like DrumJunkie, maybe start basic and build it up piece by piece as you find a use for it. I'm of the opinion that every M4 or AR shooter should master the good ol' iron sites before they dress it up with all the fixins.. know the weapons capabilities before you alter it. Who knows? You may even like it better bare.