Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Which gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I just took a trip around the web today. Smiths and Fultons can be had for what used Norincos and Polys can.
Huh?

I paid $3600 for my Smith Enterprise.
Norincos and Polys are typically under $1,000, unless they have already had the USGI bolt upgrade done, or come with a LOT of other swag.
I paid an even $1,000 (this September) for my Springfield Armory Socom and it was posted for sale, at that price, on a public forum.
And there are good deals on Springfield Armory Loaded models, used. $1,200 to $1,300 is not uncommon.

M14's are not dirt cheap, but they can be had for very reasonable prices. And they are worth every penny.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Huh?

I paid $3600 for my Smith Enterprise.
Norincos and Polys are typically under $1,000, unless they have already had the USGI bolt upgrade done, or come with a LOT of other swag.
I paid an even $1,000 (this September) for my Springfield Armory Socom and it was posted for sale, at that price, on a public forum.
And there are good deals on Springfield Armory Loaded models, used. $1,200 to $1,300 is not uncommon.

M14's are not dirt cheap, but they can be had for very reasonable prices. And they are worth every penny.
How does your Smith spec out? I was quoted considerably less for a MILSPEC Crazy Horse built on an LRB double lugged receiver, no optics.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
How does your Smith spec out? I was quoted considerably less for a MILSPEC Crazy Horse built on an LRB double lugged receiver, no optics.
My Smith Enterprise is one of the original Smith Enterprise rifles, not one of the new ones built on LRB's.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
My Smith Enterprise is one of the original Smith Enterprise rifles, not one of the new ones built on LRB's.
That explains the difference in cost.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #15

Quote:
That explains the difference in cost.
What price did they quote you for a Crazy Horse? Was it with optics, or without? USGI synthetic stock? Was the whole thing M80HT treated?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ron quoted about $2800 for an 18" chrome moly barrelled Crazy Horse as they deliver them to the Army without the optics or scope mounts and with a Cali friendly muzzle break and a USGI fiberglass stock. Oddly enough, they don't sell Leupold stuff to civilians.

Roger Waters

Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Ron quoted about $2800 for an 18" chrome moly barrelled Crazy Horse as they deliver them to the Army without the optics or scope mounts and with a Cali friendly muzzle break and a USGI fiberglass stock. Oddly enough, they don't sell Leupold stuff to civilians.
That price seems about right. If you are mounting optics you may want to check out an M25 receiver. Cheaper than buying a rifle and a mount, and WAY better.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
That price seems about right. If you are mounting optics you may want to check out an M25 receiver. Cheaper than buying a rifle and a mount, and WAY better.
I Really like the Smith wire EDM, NSN mounts. I like the fact that you can use your irons with a scope mounted. I'm looking for a quick rifle anyway, not necessarily something to hit targets at 600+ m.

I'm looking to throw a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20 or Mark 4 1.5-5X20 MR/T M2 on it. Realistically, any targets that I'd be engaging would be 600 m or less.

Roger Waters

Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #19

Quote:
I Really like the Smith wire EDM, NSN mounts. I like the fact that you can use your irons with a scope mounted. I'm looking for a quick rifle anyway, not necessarily something to hit targets at 600+ m.

I'm looking to throw a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20 or Mark 4 1.5-5X20 MR/T M2 on it. Realistically, any targets that I'd be engaging would be 600 m or less.
The SEI mount is excellent and will serve you well. If you aren't planning to use a scope all the time the SEI, Sadlak, GDI, Brookfield or Bassett will all be fine.

The M25 will allow use of the irons though if you have rings that work. And it will never work loose.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #20

Sig 556........