Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Which gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which gun?

Hi folks, I haven't been a member long, I've just been reading/lurking mostly to get a feel for the group. Overall, I really like it. I have many guns but last year bought my first 'assault rifle', a Romanian AK47-(WASR-10)-I know, I know, they're not on the top of everyones list or the prettiest but mine is all straight and has never failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger in over 8,000 rounds. Actually its very accurate for an AK too and I couldn't be happier with it. It shoots anything with no complaining.

Anyway, my question is this... what would be the next gun ya'll would buy before this new administration takes office and starts banning things? I've really come to enjoy these military type semi autos and am afraid if I wait I'll be left out in the cold. January is getting closer & closer boys & girls and the democrats are coming!!
Soooo, if all you had was an AK47 what would you be in the market for next? Please don't say a better AK because the one I have performs beautifully. I'm not into brand names or even looks--strictly performance--a gun thats gonna shoot every single time without fail...Thank you in advance to anyone who has any suggestions......Anton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You might want to check out M14s.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You might want to check out M14s.
M14 huh? Well Matt, if you can loan me the money for an M14 today I will gladly pay you Tuesday.
...<<g>>....A

Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
M14 huh? Well Matt, if you can loan me the money for an M14 today I will gladly pay you Tuesday.
...<<g>>....A
I'm in the same boat myself. I'm hoping I can pick up one or two before they're banned.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well an AR lower or two would be the best bet, would be the biggest bang for the buck (no pun intended). You could pick up three or four lowers and gradually build them over time. That is the keystone, the receiver.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'm in the same boat myself. I'm hoping I can pick up one or two before they're banned.
With a bit of judicious shopping around, you can find a great deal on an M14. I have seen a few lately at the $1,000 mark. And you can find the Norincos and Poly Techs for less than that, if you don't mind changing out the bolt for USGI at some point.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
With a bit of judicious shopping around, you can find a great deal on an M14. I have seen a few lately at the $1,000 mark. And you can find the Norincos and Poly Techs for less than that, if you don't mind changing out the bolt for USGI at some point.
I just took a trip around the web today. Smiths and Fultons can be had for what used Norincos and Polys can.

Roger Waters

Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
well an AR lower or two would be the best bet, would be the biggest bang for the buck (no pun intended). You could pick up three or four lowers and gradually build them over time. That is the keystone, the receiver.

Good luck!
+1 & Quoted for Truth. You can build them over time, which keeps the cost of the initial outlay down and you can damn well bet that idiot Biden has several first drafts of AWB 1 still on his hard drive just waiting to be dusted off and brought up to date...

JD

Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All I know is I've always wanted a extremely accurate M1A such as springfield armory's white feather but never can seem to justify laying out that kind of cash. Your AK will work great for shorter ranges so you need something with serious long range capability. There's several 7.62x51 paramiltary rifles that fit this niche. Althou I recent bought 2 dpms .223s(in full blown bull barrel target format) and they should really rock for their intended purpose of groundhogs/coyotes/target,they only offer more precision instead of longer range compared to your AK. What you might want to consider is the potentional of accuracy while choosing your next "rig". Of the various .308s,the springfield armory SEEMS to offer better accuracy(in the higher end versions and scoped of course). Of course that's just me as I'm a accuracy freak.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #10

Thank you ALL very much! With my limited funds putting something together makes the most sense.
And you have hit what I need right on the head 'Stalking Bear', I'm an accuracy nut too and no AK is gonna fullfill that niche. .......Thank you, Anton