Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Grad gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Grad gun

ok so in a little while I'll be getting out of school and I want to by a semi auto rifle. I have three different types that I like.

AR15
AK (47 or other varient)
SKS

I was wondering what you all thought about price and pros cons and what not

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Get an AR that is American made and shoot American made ammo in it!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 Dune

But build it rather than buying.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like other rifles than the ones you mentioned. But of your three choices, go with the AR.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #5

AR if you have the $'s if not I would go with the AK. Lots of extras out there for both, parts are available and both are good hard working guns. SKS is OK but I like the AK or AR much better. I have all three and if I had to keep only one it would be the AR.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

I am with Dunerunner on this one, I just bought a Colt M4 (income tax return woohoo!)... I could have went cheaper, but the fact is, a colt makes me just a little more proud when i show it off to my buddies.

also, if you think you are going to want a rail system later, get a rifle equipped with one now and save a few dollars.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Default Saiga

I'm not a big lover of the 5.56 (.223) round. For a few bucks more you can go for a 308 bullet launcher and get lots more range, knockdown, and accuracy. Saiga is the "sporter" version of an AK, essentially an AK without a pistol grip. You can add a pistol grip later, of course, for minimal dollars but in any configuration you want, along with butt stock, forend, rails, sights, hood ornaments or whatever you want. I have a Saiga chambered in 308 (7.62mmx51) rather than the standard AK 7.62mmx39. And when you're ready to drive nails at 1,000 meters with the investment in a properly scoped and boresighted M1A, you've already got the ammo in stock to do so.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #8

I really like the look of the AK and AR but I heard that AR's can run you up some money I was thinking getting my paper work for getting a full auto personaly one reason I love Kentucky.