Good quality bore brush
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Good quality bore brush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Good quality bore brush

I was wondering which bore brush is a good pick. I know some like the bronze, and some like the nylon, and some like stainless steel. That aside, Is there a company that blows the rest away with a well built brush? Like what brand does the us military use?

I just get sick of buying the junk ones every couple months. I would spend some more money on one that lasts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The military gets their stuff from the lowest bidder.

I've used bore snakes, and I really like them, however I don't currently use one. I think my current bore brush may be made by hoppes, but I didn't save the packaging.

What are you cleaning?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use a 26" cleaning rod by Pro-Shot,it works really good. I also have a hoppes #9 bore snake that ive never used

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-19-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the boresnake too. It works very well, but I like to run a brush and patch thru before I run the snake. I just feel like It does a little better.

Im usually cleaning a saiga ak. I only shoot russian ammo, and it gets very dirty, very quickly. Im not worried so much about getting it 'nothing on the patch' clean, it is an ak afterall. I just want a brush that will last, do a good job, and be as effective as possible,,, before I run my boresnake.

Im looking at brownells double tough brusheshttp://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1244/sku=084-144-300/Product/Fits-30-Rifle-pak-3 they 'look' pretty good

Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also, if theres a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
Also, if theres a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.
I do know of something that would work very well for you, without using a brush. I started using a foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. I tried this product after doing a lot of research in the internet. This stuff works better than any product I have ever tried. I carefully swap the barrels of my guns first to get out the loose fouling. I then insert a cotton swab in the chamber and fill the barrel with the foaming bore cleaner from the muzzle end. I use the cotton swab in the chamber to prevent the solvent from running out and getting into the action. I leave the foam solution in the barrel for about three hours, but for heavily fouled barrels it can be left in overnight. This stuff will not damage the metal. I finish by running a few patches down the barrel to remove the solution. I was surprised by how much fouling was removed by this stuff, after I had already swabbed the barrel with the copper solution I usually use. You don't even need to coat the inside of the barrel with oil afterwards because this stuff has anti-corrosive agents in it.

You mentioned Hoppe's 9 solvent. Hoppe's 9 is great for removing carbon fouling on metal surfaces but it is just not strong enough to remove lead or copper very well. Hoppe's 9 is also a great metal preservative. I have been wiping down my guns with this stuff for a long time and the bluing on all of my guns still looks new, even my 40 year-old Win 94.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

good info turf, Ill look into that

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #8

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
Also, if there's a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.
Try this........

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

Home made, cheap and really works good on crud.

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB

Try this........

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

Home made, cheap and really works good on crud.
Swerts 7.62 or butchs bore shine both are great

Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Swerts 7.62 or butchs bore shine both are great
Its sweets 7.62 not swerts sorry