Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Good quality bore brush (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/good-quality-bore-brush-55863/)

Pjj342 01-19-2012 09:03 PM

Good quality bore brush

I was wondering which bore brush is a good pick. I know some like the bronze, and some like the nylon, and some like stainless steel. That aside, Is there a company that blows the rest away with a well built brush? Like what brand does the us military use?

I just get sick of buying the junk ones every couple months. I would spend some more money on one that lasts.

trip286 01-19-2012 09:44 PM

The military gets their stuff from the lowest bidder.

I've used bore snakes, and I really like them, however I don't currently use one. I think my current bore brush may be made by hoppes, but I didn't save the packaging.

What are you cleaning?

MrWray 01-19-2012 10:27 PM

I use a 26" cleaning rod by Pro-Shot,it works really good. I also have a hoppes #9 bore snake that ive never used

Pjj342 01-20-2012 02:23 AM

I have the boresnake too. It works very well, but I like to run a brush and patch thru before I run the snake. I just feel like It does a little better.

Im usually cleaning a saiga ak. I only shoot russian ammo, and it gets very dirty, very quickly. Im not worried so much about getting it 'nothing on the patch' clean, it is an ak afterall. I just want a brush that will last, do a good job, and be as effective as possible,,, before I run my boresnake.

Im looking at brownells double tough brusheshttp://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1244/sku=084-144-300/Product/Fits-30-Rifle-pak-3 they 'look' pretty good

Pjj342 01-20-2012 02:27 AM

Also, if theres a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.

BlueTurf 01-21-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjj342 (Post 682673)
Also, if theres a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.

I do know of something that would work very well for you, without using a brush. I started using a foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. I tried this product after doing a lot of research in the internet. This stuff works better than any product I have ever tried. I carefully swap the barrels of my guns first to get out the loose fouling. I then insert a cotton swab in the chamber and fill the barrel with the foaming bore cleaner from the muzzle end. I use the cotton swab in the chamber to prevent the solvent from running out and getting into the action. I leave the foam solution in the barrel for about three hours, but for heavily fouled barrels it can be left in overnight. This stuff will not damage the metal. I finish by running a few patches down the barrel to remove the solution. I was surprised by how much fouling was removed by this stuff, after I had already swabbed the barrel with the copper solution I usually use. You don't even need to coat the inside of the barrel with oil afterwards because this stuff has anti-corrosive agents in it.

You mentioned Hoppe's 9 solvent. Hoppe's 9 is great for removing carbon fouling on metal surfaces but it is just not strong enough to remove lead or copper very well. Hoppe's 9 is also a great metal preservative. I have been wiping down my guns with this stuff for a long time and the bluing on all of my guns still looks new, even my 40 year-old Win 94.

Pjj342 01-22-2012 04:55 AM

good info turf, Ill look into that

DougB 01-23-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjj342 (Post 682673)
Also, if there's a solvent that anyone thinks is best for crappy ammo residue, Id love to hear it. I still use hoppes9, Ive tried a few(mpro7, breakfree clp, strikehold) and none have done any better in the cleaning dept.

Try this........

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

Home made, cheap and really works good on crud.

Muliemaster 01-23-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB

Try this........

Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

Home made, cheap and really works good on crud.

Swerts 7.62 or butchs bore shine both are great

Muliemaster 01-23-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Swerts 7.62 or butchs bore shine both are great

Its sweets 7.62 not swerts sorry