Good long distance rifle? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Good long distance rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Yes I see you stated 800 meters, that still equates to 875ish yards, that's one hell of a long shot, all I'm sayin is there's a lot that goes into a shot like that and it takes tons of practice, there's nothing at all wrong with practicing long range shooting and becoming proficient at it, but for me in normal hunting scenarios I would work on getting a little closer to the game then have to chance shots at that sort of range. Out west guys are more often faced with scenarios which call for long yardage shots, in the east one can usually study the game movement and set up to where you shouldn't hopefully have to shoot farther than a couple hundred yards.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #52

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just my 2 cents but a mile and a 1/16th shot on am elk is a id have to see cuz id piss the "shooter" and his witnesses off by settin up and elk silhoutte at that range then let them try and hit them w my warbird, 50 bmg, or the 454 collosus when its finally built. The 338 lapua and 7 mm ultra would just be a waste of time and $ for the OP since they are just to expensive to shoot w/o reloadin. Coon dog is exactly correct bout shots on the other side of the Muddy.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #53

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a FNAR 308 that does very well. Semi auto with 5, 10, 20 round clips. I did go cheap on scope so i can get it out shooting and didn't have much money left. Love the gun. Interchangeable cheek pads and butt stock. Adjustable trigger but recommend a gun smith do it.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyliftn
I have a FNAR 308 that does very well. Semi auto with 5, 10, 20 round clips. I did go cheap on scope so i can get it out shooting and didn't have much money left. Love the gun. Interchangeable cheek pads and butt stock. Adjustable trigger but recommend a gun smith do it.
He wants CHEAP

Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My bad. I only gave 1000 for the rifle and 400 for scope and that was cheap from all the research i did when looking into long range.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #56

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I personally researched the FNAR and decided against purchasing it, seems people liked it but it was consistently a 2-3MOA gun, on average. Plus it's way too far out of this guys price range. Semi auto isn't really needed here, so let's get back on track.

Unless you reload, I wouldn't go with ANYTHING other than .308 due to the insane prices of ammo. 308 is good out to around 800 yards, and I can guarantee that since you stated you are a pistol guy normally, it's going to take you some serious time to be able to shoot even that distance. 800 yards is not only challenging, it's not viable as a hunting distance to begin with unless you are an EXPERT marksman.

So, assuming your going with a .308 bolt action with a five round magazine, I would say savage is a good bet. The price won't kill your wallet, and you are going to need more than the cost of the rifle for good glass to get you out to that 800 yard mark. Save money where you can, and I have heard nothing but good things about the accutriggers on the savages.

Don't worry about .300win mag, 7mm, .338 lapua mag, or .50 BMG. Stick with a good solid base rifle in a common caliber that still has some balls to it [the 308] and BEGIN you're long distance shooting career. The gun will outshoot you for a long time, and by the time you need to upgrade who knows where you will be in life financially.

I just see so many people say they want to try long distance shooting and right off that bat they buy something way too big, too powerful, too expensive to shoot, and then decide (due to lack of practice because the rounds cost so damn much) that it isn't for them and then they are out a ton of dough.

Savage bolt action in .308

And look for GOOD glass. Vortex puts out some very high quality glass at good prices, but picking the scope is harder than picking the rifle, so that's another story for another day. I can only speak to Vortex so I'll let the "Glass Gurus" handle that one.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #57

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Id go with a Mosin Nagant because they're readily available and cheap. Ammo is pretty cheap pending on the brand, personally I use the Brown Bear FMJ. It's a good rifle but there aren't many customizations out there other than bolts, scope mounts, and stocks. Those are the few I know of for fact, but i have seen a 10 round magazine modification on YouTube and it is shown to work very well.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #58

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood
Id go with a Mosin Nagant because they're readily available and cheap. Ammo is pretty cheap pending on the brand, personally I use the Brown Bear FMJ. It's a good rifle but there aren't many customizations out there other than bolts, scope mounts, and stocks. Those are the few I know of for fact, but i have seen a 10 round magazine modification on YouTube and it is shown to work very well.

Spetsnaz for Life
You can't be serious? The mosin for 800-1000 yards? Get real.

don't live vicariously

Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw

You can't be serious? The mosin for 800-1000 yards? Get real.

don't live vicariously
Whoa 7mm. Hes from Russia so he more than likely has no clue what thise distances are like he state side. Shooting over ther is TOTALLY different than here. Over there the nagant round easily shoots 600 yards like our 308 does 300. Its all in the geological and weather differences. That bein said he is probably bein a littlle prejudiced towards Mother Russia's armament

Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #60

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Not prejudiced at all sir. I'm not familiar with most of the rifles you were listing, I was suggesting a good, cheap, accurate rifle. Only trying to save the man some green he could put into buying a very special firearm such as a Barrett 50 Cal BMG or even an extremely modified Ruger mini 14 or 30. I know I went from 10K to about 850 dollars but the possibilities are endless for the OP's amount of cash.

Spetsnaz for Life