Good long distance rifle? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Good long distance rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney
The one extended mag holds ten rounds. How can I resist? It's made by savage, but runs about a hundred.
More ammo you add to a long range guns mag the more your accuracy goes down the drain. Thats why truelly good long range shooters only load one round at a time

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #32

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

The only common semi rifles that I know of in the larger calibers are the Remington line, alot of guys around here use them for whitetail deer, a lot of guys love them, my dad had one for years and he swore by it, some guys have problems with them on the older models, I'm not sure about the current model they have out as I don't know anyone who has one. Also theres the Winchester Model 100 thats been out of production for a long time and usually if you find one in decent shape its expensive, those came in 308, 243, and 284, my dad has one of these and I have a 308 in a carbine they are good rifles but need to be kept clean, if any rust gets in the gas system they jam like crazy, parts can still be bought to a point. If I were you I would stay away from the autos for obvious accuracy issues at the ranges you are talking. Another bolt gun to consider and you may find a deal on one somewhere is the old Remington 788, it had a detachable mag and they really shot good, I know a couple guys who still have them in 308 but the mags are getting harder to find.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
If that can't reach 1000m than I'll give up guns.
.308 wouldn't be my first choice for shooting 1000m. That's really stretching the round past it limit. While it will reach that far, it drops something like 30 feet, and is traveling really slow.

I would look at the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag or 270 Short Mag if I was gonna be shooting that far.

Don't get me wrong. The .308 is a great round, but it's not a 1000m cartridge.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #34

If you want a dam good long range round go for the .416 barrett. Obviously pricey but super accurate. With a nightforce precision benchrest 8-42 scope and the bors(barrett optical ranging system) ive shot elk at aprox 1850 yards and the bullet still had enough kinetic energy to blow its front leg off ;-) thats what i call awesome

Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7

.308 wouldn't be my first choice for shooting 1000m. That's really stretching the round past it limit. While it will reach that far, it drops something like 30 feet, and is traveling really slow.

I would look at the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag or 270 Short Mag if I was gonna be shooting that far.

-Fred
Bud's offers the first 2 you mentioned at a pretty negligible price difference. Between the two, which wood be better?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #36

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Just curious, what type of game are you planning on hunting where you may shoot 800-1000 yards? That is an awefully long poke, I have hunted in Wisconsin for years and we have areas with large fields and open slashings in the woods but never have I had to take a shot that far, seems to me that's starting to stretch it even for western hunting that I hear about. I wouldn't even attempt a shot at the range unless I had a ton of practice and was extremely confident in my shot.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I live out in the middle of Georgia, and the other day I ran across this really big clearing. I walked around it, checked for notices, private property signs, army bases, etc. Not a one. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. This will be my first rifle (I usually play with handguns), but I've shot god knows what in the past. If I do go hunting, it'll because for whatever reason I'm short on cash and venison is better than ramen and starving. And just a note, it's in meters, not yards, which at this distance makes a fair bit of difference. A thousand yards is hard for most high power rifles, let alone the cartridges here.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #38

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky
If you want a dam good long range round go for the .416 barrett. Obviously pricey but super accurate. With a nightforce precision benchrest 8-42 scope and the bors(barrett optical ranging system) ive shot elk at aprox 1850 yards and the bullet still had enough kinetic energy to blow its front leg off ;-) thats what i call awesome
1850 yrds on an elk bull poop total bull poop. Blow its front leg off "awesome" no stupid comment bs troll post

Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
1850 yrds on an elk bull poop total bull poop. Blow its front leg off "awesome" no stupid comment bs troll post
seconded Mulie! i too call bull poop on this one! and even if he were telling the truth, blowing the leg off an animal then saying awesome, is well downright unethical and someone who shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

at $6700 to $11,000 for a Barrett chambered in .416, yeah i'm calling bull poop on this troll!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Neglecting the animal abuse, what you said is completely irrelevant.