Good long distance rifle? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Good long distance rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I would stay away from the semi auto if your truly looking to make a precision long distance rifle . bolt action .308 would be a great choice especially if you intend on hunting with it also, Still fairly cheap to shoot but still reaches out there with accuracy . There are better choices for sure for long distance but most wont be cost effective to shoot as the .308 will especially if your just buying cheap bulk ammo to plink with

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bolt action sounds like a good option as long as it uses a magazine. My biggest problem with most guns is loading each round individually. I don't have any issue with bolt or lever, but sitting there putting each round in is a bit tedious for me. I think I might just like the sound of slamming the next magazine in and chambering the first round.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #13

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
savage model 10/110 series are good fairly low cost rifles very easy to work on and even change calibers with some simple tools. a lower cost savage can easily be turned into a target grade rifle.
+1 on the Savage. I am currently running a total of 3 Savage bolt actions. All of them are box stock, and they are very accurate. The top photo is a Savage Model 10-FP in .308. It has the Accutrigger, but not the Accustock. The middle photo is a Savage Model 12 FT/R, also in .308. It is a accurized target grade rifle with a 30" Stainless Steel Barrel and a single shot, target grade bolt action. It has the Target Accutrigger. The bottom photo is my Savage 110-FCP/K in .300 Winchester Magnum. It is equipped with both the Accutrigger and Accustock.

All three of these rifles perform unbelievably well for box stock weapons firing handloads. My 10-FP has a blind magazine, but Savage is now offering many of their bolt action models with detachable magazines. My 110-FCP/K has one. The Model 12-F/TR has won many F-Class target matches, and is one of the most accurate bolt action rifles on the current market.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

seems as though even the lower end savages are great shooters , I have a Savage AXIS in .223 1:9 twist which shoots sub MOA, also available in numerous calibers including .243, .270, .308, . 30.06 . these all have 4-5 rd removable mags . marlin also makes a damn good shooter for the $$$

Heres my savage Remington UMC .223 @ 100 yards 1" squares. Its a bit high as I have this gun zeroed @ 200

Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21254 Times on 12068 Posts
Likes Given: 53032

a bolt action should be able to give more potential accuracy than most semi-auto rifles. the semi auto rifles that are capable of very good accuracy are more than likely going to be more expensive than a decently priced bolt action. plus most semi-autos are going to require a mount so as to put a scope on it and these are usually pricy as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

CZ puts out a really nice and very accurate rifle. They are one of the few manufacturers still putting out rifles with a Mauser style action (controlled round feed, commonly called CFR, and a bear claw extractor). Most models also come with single set triggers, which are awesome for hunting or target shooting. You can simply pull the trigger like any other single stage, or you can push it forward, or "set" it, giving you a VERY short and VERY light trigger.

From what you're saying, I would be looking at either the 550 American or 550 Varmint. The American would be better for hunting (lighter), while the Varmint would be better for target shooting (bull barrel). The American usually runs about $730 new, with the Varmint coming in at just over $800. They are a little more than a lot of the other big name production guns, but IMO are worth the extra money.

I'm pretty sure either model can be had with a detachable box magazine, but don't quote me on it.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Savage sounds like the best option for the money at this point. If I had more money I'd go for the CZ based off their handguns (as stupid as that sounds). I find it kind of sad they haven't figured out large caliber rifles in semi yet.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
I find it kind of sad they haven't figured out large caliber rifles in semi yet.
They have, but you're gonna pay out the nose for a good one.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I will say that I have a CZ 527 LUX in .223. It is a very nice, well built "mini" Mauser action. The gun is beautifully crafted of all steel and Walnut. The trigger is nice, but I'll never get used to pushing a trigger forward before pulling it. With that said the trigger is very crisp, but I much prefer the Savage Accutrigger.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, a large caliber rifle in semi you don't have to sell body parts for.