Good long distance rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Good long distance rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good long distance rifle?

Maybe not a full blown sniper rifle but something with good distance. I don't know too much about rifles, but I've shot a 30-30 and .50 BMG with a friend (who happens to have a lot more money than me).

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

How long of a distance are you talking ? Will you be bench shooting ? Reolading ammo ? what price range do you want to be in ? What will you be using it for ?
Optics make or break a gun also so figure in a price for a decent optic around $400- $1000 unless your on a budget for something cheaper

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found a good size clearing about 800m wide. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. I might use it for hunting considering I can get a months worth of food for the price of a bullet (and venison taste better than ramen). I'd rather save for a good used gun than buy a cheap clunker, so whatever is a good gun. I can't reload, but I don't mind ammo cost as much as I should.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
I found a good size clearing about 800m wide. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. I might use it for hunting considering I can get a months worth of food for the price of a bullet (and venison taste better than ramen). I'd rather save for a good used gun than buy a cheap clunker, so whatever is a good gun. I can't reload, but I don't mind ammo cost as much as I should.
check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308, with a 26" heavy barrel. i gave $370 +tax, NIB for mine. now i do reload for mine, but with some good match grade ammo, it should do just fine. i have never even shot factory ammo in mine, but with my reloads, it is quite accurate.

another option, hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows, as you never know what you might run across used.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308, with a 26" heavy barrel. i gave $370 +tax, NIB for mine. now i do reload for mine, but with some good match grade ammo, it should do just fine. i have never even shot factory ammo in mine, but with my reloads, it is quite accurate.

another option, hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows, as you never know what you might run across used.
+1 on the x7vh. Get ahold of me on your build axxe

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Know anything in semi?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney
Know anything in semi?
Semis arent usually used in long distance bc the loss of power it takes to blow open the bolt. Browning BAR in 308, 270, 243, and 30/06 comes to mind. Preferably 308 & 270. They are pretty expensive.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
Know anything in semi?
the best that i have any experiance with is the Springfield M1A in 308, but even the cheapest in that rifle is going to be $1300-1500 for a standard version with no scope or mount. another option would be an AR chambered in 308, but still a little pricey, and still no scope. there are some others, but a decent semi auto rifle chambered in 308 and accurate isn't going to be cheap.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the best that i have any experiance with is the Springfield M1A in 308, but even the cheapest in that rifle is going to be $1300-1500 for a standard version with no scope or mount. another option would be an AR chambered in 308, but still a little pricey, and still no scope. there are some others, but a decent semi auto rifle chambered in 308 and accurate isn't going to be cheap.
Exactly my thinkin. M1a's are expensive and hell to get ahold of....build kits for one are even more painful to get ahold of even if they do cost less

Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

savage model 10/110 series are good fairly low cost rifles very easy to work on and even change calibers with some simple tools. a lower cost savage can easily be turned into a target grade rifle.

for semi auto m1 garands can be had from cmp and will easily reach out to 800yds but arent easily scoped. other options are ar10 and the aforementioned m1a which also has some issues being scoped.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...