Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Good long distance rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/good-long-distance-rifle-61667/)

Kenney 04-02-2012 04:56 PM

Good long distance rifle?
 
Maybe not a full blown sniper rifle but something with good distance. I don't know too much about rifles, but I've shot a 30-30 and .50 BMG with a friend (who happens to have a lot more money than me).

purehavoc 04-02-2012 05:04 PM

How long of a distance are you talking ? Will you be bench shooting ? Reolading ammo ? what price range do you want to be in ? What will you be using it for ?
Optics make or break a gun also so figure in a price for a decent optic around $400- $1000 unless your on a budget for something cheaper

Kenney 04-02-2012 08:54 PM

I found a good size clearing about 800m wide. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. I might use it for hunting considering I can get a months worth of food for the price of a bullet (and venison taste better than ramen). I'd rather save for a good used gun than buy a cheap clunker, so whatever is a good gun. I can't reload, but I don't mind ammo cost as much as I should.

Axxe55 04-02-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 759569)
I found a good size clearing about 800m wide. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. I might use it for hunting considering I can get a months worth of food for the price of a bullet (and venison taste better than ramen). I'd rather save for a good used gun than buy a cheap clunker, so whatever is a good gun. I can't reload, but I don't mind ammo cost as much as I should.

check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308, with a 26" heavy barrel. i gave $370 +tax, NIB for mine. now i do reload for mine, but with some good match grade ammo, it should do just fine. i have never even shot factory ammo in mine, but with my reloads, it is quite accurate.

another option, hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows, as you never know what you might run across used.

Marlinman 04-02-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308, with a 26" heavy barrel. i gave $370 +tax, NIB for mine. now i do reload for mine, but with some good match grade ammo, it should do just fine. i have never even shot factory ammo in mine, but with my reloads, it is quite accurate.

another option, hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows, as you never know what you might run across used.

+1 on the x7vh. Get ahold of me on your build axxe

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Kenney 04-02-2012 09:22 PM

Know anything in semi?

Marlinman 04-02-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney
Know anything in semi?

Semis arent usually used in long distance bc the loss of power it takes to blow open the bolt. Browning BAR in 308, 270, 243, and 30/06 comes to mind. Preferably 308 & 270. They are pretty expensive.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Axxe55 04-02-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 759592)
Know anything in semi?

the best that i have any experiance with is the Springfield M1A in 308, but even the cheapest in that rifle is going to be $1300-1500 for a standard version with no scope or mount. another option would be an AR chambered in 308, but still a little pricey, and still no scope. there are some others, but a decent semi auto rifle chambered in 308 and accurate isn't going to be cheap.

Marlinman 04-02-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

the best that i have any experiance with is the Springfield M1A in 308, but even the cheapest in that rifle is going to be $1300-1500 for a standard version with no scope or mount. another option would be an AR chambered in 308, but still a little pricey, and still no scope. there are some others, but a decent semi auto rifle chambered in 308 and accurate isn't going to be cheap.

Exactly my thinkin. M1a's are expensive and hell to get ahold of....build kits for one are even more painful to get ahold of even if they do cost less

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

JonM 04-02-2012 10:31 PM

savage model 10/110 series are good fairly low cost rifles very easy to work on and even change calibers with some simple tools. a lower cost savage can easily be turned into a target grade rifle.

for semi auto m1 garands can be had from cmp and will easily reach out to 800yds but arent easily scoped. other options are ar10 and the aforementioned m1a which also has some issues being scoped.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.