Girlfriend wants a shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Girlfriend wants a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Girlfriend wants a shotgun

Had got a single shot 20ga thinking my gf would be able to shoot it with no problem but she took 2 shots and said it hurt to much... I saw a marlin or mossberg in dicks today for 200 bucks. 410 bore 4 shot. Anyone know good company's out there that Make 410 pump actions??
Also I was reading up on a 28ga too but know nothing of them.. Which is better for her?? She will be shooting some skeet upstate and maybe slugs here at the range.
Also if anyone knows good places to get shotgun ammo please share.. CTD shipping is getting to expensive..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #2

Ohh and my girlfriend is only 5'2" 120lbs so she thinks every gun she holds is heavy lol

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mossberg sells the model 500e i think it is in 410 pump. The 28 ga would probably be your best bet out of them two for what you described. I dont know of any company that makes the in pump off the top of my head.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Youth 870 in 20ga...
Proper stance is everything in small framed shotgun shooters. I've shot competition shotgun since I was 12, (12ga pump), full grown I am 5'8" 160 soaking wet...stance is the key, stock placement means the world....870 youth, if she can't take that, don't even bother she's just not cut out for that discipline...

Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9172 Times on 3960 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

All other things being equal, the heavier shotgun will have less felt recoil. But as the folks have said, a shotgun that fits the shooter, AND is pulled SNUGLY into the pocket of the shoulder will tame a LOT of recoil. An autoloader also soaks up some recoil, as does a good recoil pad.

There is 20 g and 20 g. Upland loads/ skeet and trap loads are relatively mild, but some of the 20 g magnum loads can kick the snot out of you.

28 g is scarce nowadays. Not only the guns, but you will not walk into a wallyworld or Dicks Sporting Goods and find a lot of cheap 28 g ammo.

.410 has less recoil- and is a lousy gun for a beginning shooter- it is MUCH harder to hit with. If you find someone on the trap range breaking birds with a .410, do NOT take him up on the offer of a friendly wager- the .410 is an expert's gun for wingshooting- size of the shot string is painfully small.

Try a youth model 870 WITH A GOOD RECOIL PAD. Limbsaver gets my vote for pads.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kick EEZ makes great pads also

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My wife is 5'4". I got a used 870 youth 20 ga. for her. With the recoil pad it was still a little long for her. I removed it and installed a butt plate. It fits her very well now. The only use for this gun for her is to shoot rock occasionally. I have also bought some defense rounds for it in case she ever needs to use it for that. Like C3 said, game loads from a 20 are mild even without a recoil pad. Heavy loads can pretty good, especially if the gun isn't mounted well.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You might want to try a couple boxes of light load 20 ga. Several manufacturers market a low recoil product. Also, make sure she has a good stance and form...that can make a big difference.

Sure, 410 will have less recoil, but it will also put less lead down range, and that can make breaking targets more of a challenge. Shooters that can't break targets often lose interest pretty quick.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with the recent negatives for a .410 and 28ga

My wife has a 16 ga but finding ammo sucks

Go with the 20 and practice will do her justice.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Yeah I think I'm gunna look around at dicks and see if they got one in stock. I wish wall mart sold guns in nys. Maybe I could find one used for a bit cheaper.. Anyone know what the 870 youth 20ga goes for new? Or good used condition?