Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Garand thumb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Garand thumb

First time I ever witnessed this. Young man in the shop looking at a M1 Garand. You guessed it. Slamed shut on his thumb. I am sorry, but after we got it "off" him, I had to go in back, mashed the heck out of his thumb.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't want to even guess what that felt like. I'm sure he'll be happy with his new thumb nail in a month or so.

And bobby, I still love old cars, guns, and my wife. The torment of the spide will end tomorrow.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #3

Hey, it happens to everyone who ever owns, or used one in the military one at least once. More than that if you didn't pay attention the first time.

If anyone ever says "it never happened to me" then they never used the weapon for any length of time. It will get you. And I personally can tell you, hell yes it hurts and it's always amusing when it happens to someone else..............markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 06-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

this happened to a guy i was in rotc with in high school. the M1's didnt fire but you could lock it open and them slam it closed. we wasnt suppost to but a few of the pfc's thought it would be fun to play with the weapons and one wasnt paying attenion. we laughed for weeks at him.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #5

Default m1 thumb

as you know you place you right hand palm in at front of handle,and push back with back of hand.place thumb on cartridges and push down till it locks holding handle back with back of hand roll hand up and let handle go forward.
your thumb will be no wear near the bolt.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Boy I remember when I did it. I think it is like a right of passage. It is kind of like seeing your first playboy only not as enjoyable. That hurt so bad I lost my thumb nail over that.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I remember many decades ago when my Father brought a Garand home to show us kids. We were living with my Aunt and Uncle at the time (9 kids in the household) and dear old Dad was demonstrating the disassembly and operation of the weapon. He was showing us the bolt operation and then gave the weapon to one of my cousins. Guess what? He got the M1 Thumb and screamed bloody murder. The rest of us laughed our asses off. No one else made that mistake and followed my Father's instructions to the letter.

Currently, I'm browsing Guns America looking to purchase my own Garand so it's highly possible that I'll suffer the fate of other Garand owners and have a very vividly colored thumb in the near future.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Garand thumb is almost a rite of passage.

...and no, I haven't experienced it.

...yet.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #9

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If you do it once you learn real quick and won't do it again

Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I was a carpenter for most of my life and I've still got all my digits. Common sense and good timing. A little luck doesn't hurt either.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams