Garand Range Report - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Garand Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Took the Garand and the M1 carbine out to the range this morning. The Garand is as dialed in as I can get it. It is a pure sweet, enjoyable and accurate shooter. The lack of recoil is amazing.

I fired a bandoleer of Greek HXP and a bandoleer of Lake City. I only had the one bandoleer of Lake City and I hated to shoot it. But I wanted to check the accuracy between it and the Greek milsurp. I wanted to get the rifle as set up as possible. It turns out that there really wasn't much difference at all. The LC shot just a tad higher.

The M1 carbine is almost dialed at fifty yards. It functions flawlessly, bu two aftermarket mags are crap and gave me a half a dozen FTF's. It ran like a Swiss watch with military mags.

I'm going to have to save my money for the Big Reno gun show and buy more G.I. mags for it.

All in all, a fun day at the range.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've had the Garand out a few more times, the most recent was this morning. Man, I like this rifle. It's definitely a sweet shooter. I wish I was a better marksman to do it justice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #13

I have to say that the Garand are awesome rifles. I had two at one time, a regular old service grade and a so called national match. I couldn't even get a decent group with the NM so I sold that one. The service grade is a great shooter and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything! Went over to the CMP in Anniston, Alabama a couple of years ago and picked it out myself. The best $495 I ever spent!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

'Zactly. Mine's a service grade Springfield and it shoots better than I can.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thursday I went to the CMP store in Anniston, Alabama to "look" around. I bought an M1 Garand (and about 400 rounds of that Greek ammo) and an M1 Carbine. I haven't had a chance to shoot either yet since they are shipping the guns to me. I could pay 9% local sales tax or $22 for shipping and no sales tax, shipping was the cheaper way to go. Besides, I had to fax them a copy of my birth certificate before I could take the guns (you have to prove citizenship to the CMP, a drivers license or a carry permit isn't good enough). Anyway, using the wear gauges there at the CMP, my M1 and Carbine should be good shooters, I can only hope. I have ordered a spring replace set for both guns from Midway USA. Maybe by this time next week I will be a proud M1 parent.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on the new rifles
Did you get Wolf Op Rod springs?
Wolf springs seem to all function fine with the exception of their Garand Op Rod springs. Best made are from Orion 7
Good Luck

Old 06-21-2009, 02:48 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Well...

I have shot the M1 Carbine and I agree that it is a great gun. It has a lot of stovepipes (at least mine did) but I never had any feeding problems. I am looking for one for sale at a reasonable price so I can afford the ammo.

How much did the Greek milsupr cost? I heard .30 carbine was getting scarce so I'm hesitant to buy a rifle with little ammo available. If I can't buy the carbine I'll get the full M1 Garand.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #18

The Greek HXP ammo is for the Garand and is $75.00 for 192 rds in eblocs and bandoleers. No surplus carbine ammo available

Old 06-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I put a Wolff op rod spring in my Garand and it runs perfectly. At least so far it does.

I disassembled it last weekend after having put several hundred rounds through it without much of a clean up. It was ready for it and it was a good opportunity for me to become more familiar with it. It took a bit for me to get it reassembled correctly, but it got done and I learned some stuff.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #20

Wolf Op Rod springs are "extra power" springs and alot of times cause function problems. If you have one installed and it runs fine leave it. Otherwise order a Op Rod spring from Orion 7