Garand Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Garand Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Garand Range Report

Greek surplus ammunition. Range was 100 yards.

There were several failures to feed, but other than that, it ran well. I'm going to field strip and clean and lube the heck out of it and that should make a difference. I'm also going to change out the op rod spring.

The first four clips were everywhere, but mostly low and left. I adjusted the sight for the last clip and this photo shows the results. The wind was coming up, and we had shot for a while, so we called it a day.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Good job on the groupings. That will take out a zombie rather good, regardless of where you are from.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Like I said, the first forty rounds weren't too good, mostly low and left. The last 8 round clip, which is shown, is the seven rounds in the black and the one flyer at about 1 o'clock on the edge.

I've never fired a Garand before today, so this was my first 48 rounds ever. I know the rifle can do better and I believe I can too. Especially at 100 yards.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using 168 grain Sierra Match Kings with 48 grains of IMR 4064 with outstanding results in my 54. Watch out for that mouse trap when cleaning, it will make you cuss loud enough for the whole house to hear. Hunter Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, I will. I'm doing my best to avoid "Garand thumb"

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you were having failures to feed and had bad accurcy were you shooting off a reat on the front handguard?
The bottom of the front handguard is open and if it is on a bag ,etc the problems you had can be the result of the Op Rod rubbing on the rest

Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
When you were having failures to feed and had bad accurcy were you shooting off a reat on the front handguard?
The bottom of the front handguard is open and if it is on a bag ,etc the problems you had can be the result of the Op Rod rubbing on the rest
Thanks, that's a good point, but I don't remember now. I'll be aware of that for the next time. However, it definitely shot better after the sight was adjusted.

I may go out this weekend and give it a bit more work at 100yds. and then try it at 200.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Greek surplus ammunition. Range was 100 yards.

There were several failures to feed, but other than that, it ran well. I'm going to field strip and clean and lube the heck out of it and that should make a difference. I'm also going to change out the op rod spring.

The first four clips were everywhere, but mostly low and left. I adjusted the sight for the last clip and this photo shows the results. The wind was coming up, and we had shot for a while, so we called it a day.

Nice grouping there CA!

Keep up the great work!

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 05-09-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. I just couldn't seem to hit in the center. Hopefully I'll have a better target to post after the next range trip.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You failures to feed can be from what I already suggested or a dirty, not properly greased rifle ( grease not oil) http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1GarandRifleGreasePoints.pdf or a loose gas screw, worn op rod pidton and or gas cylinder to name a few.