Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Garand & M1A Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Garand & M1A Help!!!!

I have a common issue with both my Garand & M1A. Both are consistently low about 8 to 10 inches at 50 yards with a point of aim - point of impact hold. Groups aren't that great but I haven't shot any premium loads in either, just surplus stuff. Everything is centered - just drastically low. My 1917 Enfield popped all in the black with same hold, same position, same ammo.
Crowns look good to me but what do I know at this point.

Any words of advice welcome....

Thanks much
NKS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I used to have a Springfield M1A Scout and currently own a '43 Garand. Both shoot dead nuts. Have you completely zeroed the elevation? At 50 yds. it should be shooting high.

I shot/shoot surplus in both. What surplus are you shooting?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

HCSO249 - I believe you have two bad guns, send them to me!

OK, since you didn't jump to do that, I believe if they are consistantly low as you describe; CA357 is dead on with the elevation setting!!

Welcome to the FTF!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCSO249 View Post
I have a common issue with both my Garand & M1A. Both are consistently low about 8 to 10 inches at 50 yards with a point of aim - point of impact hold. Groups aren't that great but I haven't shot any premium loads in either, just surplus stuff. Everything is centered - just drastically low. My 1917 Enfield popped all in the black with same hold, same position, same ammo.
Crowns look good to me but what do I know at this point.

Any words of advice welcome....

Thanks much
NKS
Bad ammo should get decent groups at 50yds.
What ammo are you using? Hard to understand how both rifles would be shooting low at 50.
So you are saying you have the rear sights all the way up and they are still shooting low or are you looking at the elevation marks and setting the apeture at them? If so forget them.
Run apeture all the way down , run rear apeture up around 8 clicks (count them)
That should get you real close at 100yds, you can adjust from there

Last edited by Orlando; 11-12-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Are you pausing your breathing when you squeeze the trigger?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #6

Yep I'm breathing, figured elevation would be next step & I'm using the Greek surplus in the Garand.

I checked with my brother to see where his rear sight is set - one click past 2. Guess that's my issue with both since they are near the bottom. Guess I'll drop both all the way down and go 8 up and start from there. My groups were consistent and fairly centered. The Garand needs to go left an inch or two. I'm not looking for a NM rifle...yet

What is everybody using for targets? I'm using heavy cardboard IPSC style. I occasionally add a shoot n see or a 25yd pistol target for a centered bullseye reference point. I'm more interested in a good consistent battle zero vs a tack driver. That will be later down the road.

Last edited by HCSO249; 11-14-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #7

Likes Given: 1

Had the same issue with my 54 Springer, You would think winding the aperture all the way down would give you point of aim at 100yds but I too had to elevate 8-10 clicks and have marked my rear aperture so that I can easily re-zero from there.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Once you have it zeroed at 100 yds you can change the elevation dial so it is set at 1. I dont worry about it, rather I count the clicks up and record it on a piece of paper and put it in the trapdoor of the buttstock. That way if the elevation knob ever comes loose and you loose the zero all you have top do is look at the paper ,bottom out and count up clicks for your 100yd zero again

Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hey Orlando, good to see you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams