French Mas? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > French Mas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Have one like it. Not for everyone

I have one the century conversions 7.5 french to 7.62 NATO (NOT .308)
I would recomend seeing a couple forums that address the issues with the MAS 49/56 (surpluserifleforums, gunboards) both are a very good source of information on what owners have done with this misunderstood rifle one very knowlageable forum member named Kelt is a good source of information.

If you buy it with a issue French scope and mount be shure "DO NOT ADJUST THE SCOPE" before messing with it, be well versed in how its adjusted beforehand by trying to adjust the scope in a conventional manner you will damage the scope!

The one thing noted is that they stamped 7.62 not .308 due to chamber pressures, Ive been shooting 7.62NATO in mine without mishap
useing commercial hunting ammo in one thes rifles will most likely lead to a slamfire due to the "very massive free floating fireing pin" soft primers of commercial ammo, the act of cycleing a round in the chamber may lead to a slamb fire situation I do know if it dosent set off the round you will see a dent in the primer on the live round on extraction.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Some firearms crossover better than others.

Some the mil-surp firearms cross over into the civilian shooter arena readily and some dont,
This is a well made firearm that was produced just for the 7.5 French round,
the French ment it to do just one thing (main French Army rifle) it did its job well and was retired, they never thought that crazy americans would get ther hands on them through the surplus market and try to modify them to something there wernt designed to do, we did it anyway because we are Americans and thats the way we do things here (Land of the SuperBowl, Tractor Pulls, Gun Shows,Drag Raceing,NASCAR) we arnt happy with plain vanilla in this case plain French Vanallia.
we want to shoot America's preferd standard round the .308 winchester
(main reason I bought it)
What it boils down to is this, if you fix the heavy fireingpin problem, you shouldent slam fire commercial .308 ammo and have the correct size gas bushing (kinda like the Ruger mini-14 has)you shouldent have any cycleing problems.
Ive determined to shoot just factory milsurp ammo through it and if I had a choice choose 7.62 Nato over the .308winchester.