French Mas?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > French Mas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default French Mas?

I spyed something in the gun store I haven't spied before.

It's a .308 converted MAS-49? It says it on the side....comes with side rail nice scope that's a big one...and the rifle for 350 price tagged....I'm pretty sure I can get it lowered to 300 out the door if I wanted it...but I'm pretty sure right now I don't want it...but what is your take? Hell the way it looks like to me...the scope is more expensive than the rifle at that price.

But I looked it up...and a number of .308 versions are prone to failures....but I hear it can be fixed....I really liked the grip and the wood on it...and the scope was just nice...although at the time I couldn't see through it...I'd have to adjust it.

Oh and forgot to mention I think they are getting two more magazines for it....so 3 mags in all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

French rifle, never fired, only dropped once. I have heard mixed reviews of the conversions to .308. If you were into military rifles, it might be interesting to round out a collection. Sit it next to your FN-49's, Garands, BM-59's, M-14's, FAL's and Ljungman.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #3

Aye I love military rifles...but as of now I don't have Garands or etc.

I found an interesting AR-10 type conversion stock for it online...but eh...not to sure about that...if I want an AR-10...I'll buy a DPMS .308...and then I can used 20 Rounders.

Apparantly I'm seeing that the rifle is probably worth anywhere from 160 to 350....around where this rifle is priced...and seeing as how the scope is with it...I'm guessing the scope is a 100-150 dollar scope and the rifle is 150.

So 300 would be a fair price...not the best price....but a fair one. At least in my mind...unless I'm missing the mark by a crap load.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default The French

Quote:
French rifle, never fired, only dropped once.

.......stop it, stop it, don't get me started again about the French !!

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post

photopro
bleh the french got hundreds of years of surrender and we got obama for at least 4 years. i think the french are ahead of us :/

Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Anyone at all have experience with them?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #7

Decided not to get it right now. If I bought another firearm my ma would kill me....and I don't have any more room hahaha....I'd have to sell a few and none I'm willing to sell right now.

Well does anyone live in Alabama close to Birmingham?

I can give you the location of said rifle so you can look at it yourself to see if you want it.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Really good price! Much better than the M1a or M1! You should grab it! The scope should be a night scope, 1st generation like the U.S. Starlight.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 12-23-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #9

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post

photopro

The U.K. bashing the French? Dunkirk, Malaysia, Singapore, War of 1776, War of 1812, Hell even the refugee Jews laughed at the blockade of Palestine!! BTW, when are you folks gonna pay us back for the lend lease program. 5% interest will do.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #10

The MAS 49 and 49/56 are fine rifles.However,when Century Arms imported a bunch of them,they got the bright idea of converting many of them to .308,as 7.5 was difficult to obtain at the time.Lots of problems with the butchered rifles.I have a 49/56 in the original caliber,and would compare it favorably to any battle rifle of its time.It has a place of honor next to my M1's,SAFN 49,FAL's and M14's as a piece of Cold War history.It is accurate and deadly,in a light compact package.
By the way,if I hear the "only dropped once" line one more time,I think I'll vomit.Trust me,a man holding one of these rifles isn't surrendering to anybody.I used to be a French-basher like some of you guys.When I started collecting some of the Frech rifles and learning the history that went wih them,I gained respect for the brave men who carried them into battle.