fn scar lite - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > fn scar lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wow. This is turning into a heated discussion. Has any1 shot the lite or have any reviews on 1? Would it be a wise choice to purchase 1?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

To the OP:

I own a SCAR 16S and SCAR 17S...

Lets see, it uses a short stroke piston. Not much different than my Ruger SR 556 Piston but thats where the similarities end.

The SCAR 16S does not have a transfer rod as found in many AR15 type gas piston guns, the piston on a SCAR impinges directly on the Bolt Carrier Group. A 'regular' gas piston AR15 works by gas piston pushing on the transfer rod and then rod impinges on the bolt carrier group.

The SCAR's barrel can be swapped out by the owner at home using a torque wrench, stock is fully adjustable. Length of pull, cheekrest height, and folds. The gun can be fired while the stock is folded. You can switch the charging handle side with partial field strip of the firearm. The firearm can be field strip for cleaning with no tools after pushing out one pin. Its modular in design

Here's a video to show how easy the SCAR breaks down.

I'll check out this thread every now and then if you have more questions.

My opinion: great gun! Lightweight, light felt recoil and accurate!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Wow. This is turning into a heated discussion. Has any1 shot the lite or have any reviews on 1? Would it be a wise choice to purchase 1?

Yes, here are my two videos of shooting the SCAR 16S (also known as the SCAR-L), AIMED fire, shoot one round at Target A then one round at Target B then back and forth....the targets are about 4 feet from each other, shoot one shot every 3 seconds or so. 100 yards. Any shot outside of the back area is considered 'off target' which is no good. trying to keep all shots in the black.

results:
Target A:

Target B:

Second video:
I had one round - one freakin' round out of target...lol!

GOOD FUN!
Great Gun!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Scar 16S (5.56mm)

oh and here's my SCAR 17S:

both:

Oh, here's my first day shooting the SCAR 17S, wet, windy conditions:

results, shot regular Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ ammo all day with no issues. 100 yards.

Last edited by goretro77; 01-21-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The SCAR 16S and SCAR 17S - very informative video below!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #16

Looks like someone had fun.

Never Forget.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
Looks like someone had fun.

Never Forget.

Yes Sir!

There were some misinformation about the SCAR that had to be dispelled. Its a pricey firearm but worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Was pondering bout this gun for a while. Wanting more info before I truely decide on getting 1 with income tax. Any and all info and reviews are appreciated.
I pondered about the SCAR for a year and read many reviews. I was fortunate to run into a SCAR owner at the range and he was nice enough to let me shoot a magazine through it. That solidified it for me, its lighter in felt recoil than my Colt LE6920 and Colt Match 6601 HBAR.

One minor, and I mean very small issue you should address with PMAGS, since these great magazines are not quite made to STANAG standards you'll need to spend 10 seconds a magazine and dremel about 1/16 inch from the rear so it does not push up the bolt hold open latch. Metal USGI mags work just fine and its easy enough to verify this.

Come over to fnforum.net where a lot of the FN owners hang out. You'll find additional accurate information there.

Last edited by goretro77; 01-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
Umm... yea I'm calling bs on that. The military, starting with the air force is beginning a full integration program with the mk16, mk17, and ACR. Colt recently lost their contract with the military to manufacture M4A1s because of this. One of my PJ buddies is actually qualifying on the ACR right now. They're going to use both systems as interim rifles until a long term replacement for the M16 and M4 platform is found. Also btw they're not glorified ARs at all, the only similarities they have is the 5.56 round and the STANAG 4179 magazine system. Neither uses a buffer tube, direct impengement gas system, or expensive forged reciever. Both SCAR and ACR have burst facilities as well as semi and full auto. Both are completely modular in design. Both are doubly reliable over almost any AR platform outh there. Make sure you know what you're talking about next time ok?

Never Forget.
W/ your reputation on this site do you have any supporting documentation to back up your claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
I pondered about the SCAR for a year and read many reviews. I was fortunate to run into a SCAR owner at the range and he was nice enough to let me shoot a magazine through it. That solidified it for me, its lighter in felt recoil than my Colt LE6920 and Colt Match 6601 HBAR.

One minor, and I mean very small issue you should address with PMAGS, since these great magazines are not quite made to STANAG standards you need to spend 10 seconds a magazine and dremel about 1/16 inch from the rear so it does not push up the bolt hold open latch.

Come over to fnforum.net where a lot of the FN owners hang out. You'll find additional accurate information there.
How can you compare recoil shooting from a bench like that? Do you think it could have anything to do w/ the PWS FSC?

Do they make you shoot like that?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
W/ your reputation on this site do you have any supporting documentation to back up your claims?

How can you compare recoil shooting from a bench like that? Do you think it could have anything to do w/ the PWS FSC?

Do they make you shoot like that?
At McMIller shooting range in Eagle, WI you'll have to shoot with 2-3 second intervals - no rapid fire. Next time I'll shoot standing up and post a video.

I've shot the SCAR at other ranges that I can shoot standing up (Buffalo Shooting Range in IL) and you can shoot rapid fire there. very low felt recoil weapon. Unfortunately they do not allow video at Buffalo shooting range BUT a simple search on youtube and you'll see other shooters will back up my opinion. Just wondering - have you shot a SCAR? I am fortunate to be able to shoot it back to back with direct impingement ARs and gas piston ARs and like to feel for myself the differences between different types of 5.56mm firearms out there. A large part of the low felt recoil is due to the Bolt carrier Group and the short stroke piston setup - its large assembly and the arm extending out to the piston centers the balance quite well, even when the BCG is moving back and forth it remains largely centered on the SCAR. Other SCAR owners report very little change in felt recoil even when they have swapped out the PWS FSC.
I like the FSC so it remains on my 16S/17S.

There is a lot of hate out there for these guns, I think its because people do not like change from what they know. You seem to be biased against the SCARs. I like my DI guns, and gas piston ARs but I love the SCARS! Oh well, to each his own thats what makes this country great.

Last edited by goretro77; 01-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.